Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been wanting a Ducati since I was knee high to a grasshopper. As other forum members have said, I was a paranoid kid who always flipped out when I saw a Ducati in the movies or parked on a street. I was sold when I saw one parked on the street in down town Brussels Belgium. Now I am planning the purhcase.
I live in the states and In the spring of 2005 I am going to travel the Alps by motorcycle...something I have wanted to do since highschool. My original plan was to rent a bike, but at around $180 a day that could get really expensive. My thought now is to buy a bike there and ride it for a month and have it shipped back. Anyone had any experience in purhcasing a Ducati in Europe and shipping it back to the States. Any help or advice (yea or nay) would be great.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Wow... That sounds nice. I bought my bike from the next state over and rode it 600 miles through the rain of the pacific NW (and some snow :( ) to get it home. Your alps plan sounds like a lot more fun. Why didn't I think of that...

Oh ya... Im a poor college student...

·
Banned
551 Posts
Sorry I couldn't insert the link - but you can copy and paste this into the browser.

http://www.lotustours.com/ourtours/italy.html

http://www.lotustours.com/archives/news_980112.html

These guys used to do what it sounds like you are looking to do. I am not sure if they are still doing the buy and ride program (second link). You will obviously pay a premium, but it might be what you are looking for. You could also try to contact local dealers in Italy about purchasing a US Spec Ducati from them (very important to have it US spec with the right papers for importing back to the US.)

You will probably pay more than in the states with the exchange rates and you most likely will have to pay Italian tax on it when you pick it up and then pay US Duty when you import it. The hassle and cost of it (along with the shipping) would mean that doing the Lotus Tour thing might almost make sense. Plus you would have professional tour guides.

I haven't hear about the tour that Darkride talks about, but it sounds like a good deal. Saab, Volvo and I believe Porsche do similar deals for cars.

Good luck

·
Registered
915 Posts
If you bought new over there...then you would have to follow the break-in procedure and then have to get the bike to a shop for the 600 mile service as well...

gnew

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
I wonder if Ducati has a >

European Delivery program like some of the car manufacturers do (Saab)? You buy the vehicle here and take delivery of it there. They would have to ship it here anyway, so that's already built into the price.
I doubt Ducati would also throw in the roundtrip plane tickets and one night at the hotel near the factory like Saab does though. ;)

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow!! Thanks for the responses. These are some great ideas. I'll check out these sites. I never knew there was a ride/buy program out there. Now I am even more excited! I am concerned about the exchange rate.

Oh and to SeattleStallion...I just graduated from college a year ago. So I am the next thing worst to still being in college. Poor and working with no time off!

Keep the input coming!

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
Ducati isn't doing a 2004 fly and buy program that I know of.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Mitt!
Yeah, as I have been contacting dealers around Europe it does seem that the United states is consistently cheaper. That was my concern. Still, the experience of riding a Ducati through the Alps is something I would love to do. Renting may be the right option.

Yes, I am in need of any suggestions for routes and places to rent. I'm definitely in the preliminary planning stages!

Great graph by the way!

Thanks

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was looking into renting a bike in europe a while back, if you can settle on a different kind of bike for the ride you'll save some $$, but if it's important for you to ride a duc through the alps, you better get a duc, otherwise, it's just another trip.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
wwumonster,

Got to have the Duc...I definitely don't want this to be just another trip.
Anyway, most of the rental places I have seen rent by class and the Duc's are thrown in the with the Honda's and Yamaha's and such. There doesn't seem to be too much difference.

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
Does anyone know of a place near Paris that I can rent a Multistrada? The only ones I can find are in Italy.

·
Registered
4,533 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,593 Posts
It was spam and has been treated as such.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts