Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I'm new to motorcycles, I have no idea how the dealership experience works.

When it comes to buying a car, I can calculate to the penny the taxes, tags, title, payment (both lease and finance) and other sundry fees.

When it comes to bikes, what are the other items to be considered (aside from the basic price of the bike).

Also - I assume since it can be done with cars - buying in one state and registering it in another at purchase - can this be done with bikes as well? I'm living in NYC with permanent residence in NJ.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
Buying motorcycles is still a little bit of a black art. Various manufacturers charge different amounts for prep and shipping, sometimes you can have some of these fees waived by the dealer but it's really up to them. You really have to put in the legwork to get a good deal but fundamentally the best course of action is to decide what price works for you and be happy when you get it or below.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
One thing buyers fanagel for is accesories. (e.g. helmets, jackets, etc.) Sometimes dealers are more willing to chip in that stuff. Or at least that's what I've heard. I didn't bargain too hard.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
Usually you'll get like 10% or 15% (or something like that) off any gear/accessories that you buy when you're buying your bike. Also, remember that NYC has (I think) the second highest tax rate *in the country* so that always hurts too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts