Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to buy 1 of the Monsters. I can get the S4 $4000 less than the S4R. Both are new and at the dealer.
to add to my indecision, I thought I would throw it out to the group. ???

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
I say go with the S4R..I've seen a couple in person and they are awesome bikes. With an aftermarket exaust to clean up the hemroid....it will be PERFECT.

M

·
0 Posts
which ever one you purchase be sure the dealer doesn't have a GS battery in it... request a Yuasa... not sure if it'll be the answer but that battery doesn't seem to have leaking issues from what we've gathered so far.

personally i'd stay away from new models.... i'm gunshy after the experiences on my '01 S4. anyway in a few years the s4r will probably be four grand cheaper than the next model if it's cash you're trying to save. the few extra ponies on the r don't equate to 4k in my mind... but it's cheaper than trying to convert a dual swinger to a single swinger.

O

·
0 Posts
i would go with the S4R but your not me . as for horse power my S4 puts out 115 hp on the dyno but the S4R could make 125 easy . the sss is the hook for me . the pipes have to go first but that's easy , it's just more money . the new handlebars are nice i like them . i would get the S4R and then spend about 6000$ on aftermarket parts making it a real monster [smiley=waytogo.gif]

·
Registered
735 Posts
I went through the same indecision a few months ago. Wait for the R and spend $4000 more just for the coolness factor of the SSS didn't do it for me. By applying that $4000 back into my S4, I think I can over look that one "looks" related upgrade I can live without. Make sure they trade out the GS battery, add pipes, cams, FIM chip and you'll be more than happy.

R

·
0 Posts
My new S4R came with a Yausa in it. Damn...ya'll gettin me all scared for nuthin :eek:

Mighty anal when it comes to my bikes, I guess. ::)

O

·
0 Posts
CVC23103A i put the SPS cams with new ECU , airfilter , 45/50 header/pipes and a pcIII but i think there's more in there to be had

M

·
0 Posts
I went though the same thing,I waited for the S4R to come out.....well I just dont care for anything with cat. converters on it,That pretty much made up my mine. I brought a new 2002 S4 and I am happy I did. I brought the last year with out a cat. Should be worth something.......Good luck!!!!

O

·
0 Posts
(It depends on the dyno and day as well. My friend has everything you have and gets less HP.)

CVC23103A

did he do the work or did a shop . what is he geting for hp and had the cams been dagreed to ducatis specs. who set up the custom map for his pcIII .

·
Premium Member
1,679 Posts
did he do the work or did a shop . what is he geting for hp and had the cams been dagreed to ducatis specs. who set up the custom map for his pcIII .
oneducs,

That would be me...

The shop that did the map had NO Ducati experince. So I just used it as a base, adding fuel here and there. I'm much happier. Now the bike rips; really pulls from anywhere. I think next year, while I'm at Laguna Sega, I'll have Dan Kyle do a new map. By then, it may be a 955 ;D

http://www.kyleusa.com/

Did you ever download your map to your computer? I'm curious to compare them.

You dialed to stock specs, didn't you?

O

·
0 Posts
i still don't know how to down load the map but if you can walk me through it you can have it . i think if someone with more experience tuning a ducati with a PCIII would get more power out of the engine i would think . let me know . i am about ready for the 6000 mile valve service . i had the cams set up to ducati specs at the install at 3000 miles .

·
Premium Member
1,679 Posts
i still don't know how to down load the map but if you can walk me through it you can have it . i think if someone with more experience tuning a ducati with a PCIII would get more power out of the engine i would think . let me know . i am about ready for the 6000 mile valve service . i had the cams set up to ducati specs at the install at 3000 miles .

Do you have a laptop? Also, you'll need the serial cable thing that came with the PCIII. If so, download the Control Center Software here (you need the one the one on the left):

http://powercommander.com/suppsoft.shtml

Then follow the online tutorials.

If you have any questions, shoot me an email.

Do not do this unless you want do; your map will not be useful in my bike, because of my cam settings. Really, I'm just curious to see how much they differ.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

As to Scott's suggestion: I think a map library is a very good idea; however, because PowerCommander maintains a decent library for many Monsters, I'm not sure about trying to turn it into a commercial venture. Also, I think a good part of the allure of having a PCIII is the fact that it can be custom tuned to each bike. I dunno, maybe a shareware, make a donation thing would work.

That said, if Jeff wants to create a map library for the DML, I'll make my maps (with a mods discription) available, for pay or not.

O

·
0 Posts
i don't have a laptop i think that's why i don't know how to down load the map

1 - 13 of 13 Posts