Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I believe a couple of guys had track days today at Buttonwillow and Willow Springs. So report and post pics, please. :)

Lester

·
Registered
474 Posts
Not from today, but a few week ago. Still count?

Corner working a Code school. Free track time = happy Matt.

·
Premium Member
219 Posts
Just got back from Buttonwillow, today was amazing! The weather was wonderful, warm and sunny, really a great day for this time of year. Track was super fun, full house though so the morning saw a few crashes but nothing serious. We had about 6 ducs in my group of guys, not too bad. I will post some photos when they get uploaded later this week. Man is that track fun, the last session was my best ever perhaps, too much fun! [thumbsup] [laugh]

·
Registered
457 Posts
Just got in from Buttonwillow too. Awesome day. Rode my 750ss for the first time since 1999 or, maybe, early 2000. Almost had a few high sides in the first session til I realized I had no rebound dialed on the rear. Otherwise, good times... I brought the Sport 1000 but didn't take her out the truck. With only 240 miles on the bike, I wasn't anxious to finish the "break in" at Buttonwillow.

George

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Had a really fantasic time at Streets of Willow.
About 50 degrees in the morning, peaked out at about 80 with a nice breeze the whole time.

Ponied up for a video package, 1 session of lead/follow.
Need to work harder at using the *whole* track.
And then there's my sorta hangoff/motard/refugee dirt rider body position [laugh]

Low quality screeen capture:

·
Premium Member
477 Posts
Cool! Looks like a blast

Buttonwillow was with the Track Club right? How are they as an organization? I'm planning on doing a Monady in Dec with them. It will be my first time with them and my first time at Buttonwillow.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
As duc_748 said, awesome day. Way to many crashes and grouping/policing was not very good. But, a day away from work and at the track is hard to complain about.

Will post up some photos and a more detailed version of the event ASAP.

·
Premium Member
219 Posts
aprilmaybe said:
Cool! Looks like a blast

Buttonwillow was with the Track Club right? How are they as an organization? I'm planning on doing a Monady in Dec with them. It will be my first time with them and my first time at Buttonwillow.
I ride with thetrackclub.com all the time, they are very good people and run a top notch day. If its a sold out day, there will be some crowding in the morning and for sure some riders will crash, but that is any track day. The track is hot all day, even during luch, so I usually skip the first session(always late anyway) and get in apx 100 track miles even with skipping the last session as well. The afternoon is usually pretty sparce out there, many riders pack it in early. I would stay away from C (slowest) unless you have never done a track before, B group gets crowded but will thin out in afternoon, A group can be crazy fast, with lots of racer guys showing up to test , etc(though it is fun to be passed at mind boggling speeds by folks like D. Chandler).
I cant say anything bad about thetrackclub, its fun all the time and alot of ducs will be out there which is cool to see. Buttonwillow is only 1.5-2 hrs from LA, and its pretty easy ride, and really fun track. [thumbsup]

·
Registered
474 Posts
+1 on what Duc_748 said. [thumbsup]

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Fantastic. Could you guys play it down a bit for those of us who couldn't take the day off... ;)

Anyone for Streets of Willow on Dec 1? I just signed up.

Lester

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
I loved my last day at Big Willow. It was the first time Id been there in 6 years and the first time on the RaceMonster in 2 years. I managed to get near mid 30's in times so I felt really good about that. Plus I look mahvulous doing it ;D

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
ducman851 said:
I loved my last day at Big Willow. It was the first time Id been there in 6 years and the first time on the RaceMonster in 2 years. I managed to get near mid 30's in times so I felt really good about that. Plus I look mahvulous doing it ;D

mid-30s as in 1:30.5 or 1:35.0? If it's the former, you're really ahuling some ass on that little monster. Hell even if it's the latter you're going good...

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Yeah, I'm running 35s on the 600 when I'm going pretty good, so I'm pretty sure I'd never hit those numbers on an 800 monster. Of course, I need my forks done so I'm losing some time in eight and five, but not that much...

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
It's been a long time since I've been to big willow... WTF is all that orange stuff on the outside of the turn in the first shot? And the green is the wall, right, but what's the red behind that? I'm confused!! What turn is that? It's gotta be the top of the hill, right? Have they made improvements?

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
The orange is haybales on the outside of turn 4 at the entrance.

The times I was running were taken from an on board video by one of the instructors from Trackxperience. Ill try to find somewhere to host it, but its abit over 100m. He was running a GSXR1k and said he had abit of a time keeping with me in 2,3,4 I seem to go pretty good there. It was also nice as I found a few spots where I can change a line and maybe pick up some time.

I cant wait till the Hybrid is done. That thing will actually handle.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
If I'm not mistaken that is turn 4a and the orange are haybale thingies and the red is the budweiser balcony. I'm actually not 100% myself, but that's what it looks like to me.

edit: dammit ducman beat me to it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts