Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Once again I am able to ride my Monster for about a week. This has been a bad year. Now my bike will not start, short in the electrical system, rear brake not functioning, press the pedal and nothing, full oil reserve, rear disc brake looks burnt and metal flakes all over rear rim, rear electrical all burnt and melted, what the heck happened? :'(
Are there after market discs I should look at to upgrade? I am sure the rear needs replacing.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Sounds like the bleed port on your master cylinder was blocked/plugged.
That situation 'traps' brake fluid in the caliper, it drags, heats up, fluid expands, drags harder, heats more, etc.
Can result in blown caliper seals or brake line and occasional fire.

There are several rear rotors available, I use a BrakeTech iron and I'm quite happy with it.

Your rear caliper will very likely need a rebuild or replacement.
Check to make sure you've got freeplay at the pedal after you've got it back together.

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
+1 on speeddog's post. I haven't seen Ducati rear brakes that bad, but it can happen. New brembo rear calipers are ~$75, too. If you're looking for one that can ship soon, I've got a black one on my shelf.

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for your replies. My shop is going to tear the brake down and see what is salvageable. The wiring harness for the rear break was melted and I think that was causing a short in the electrical system causing the bike to lose battery power. The disc is fried, pads are fried, not sure about the caliper. Seems to have happened without warning. Bike never dragged never smelled anything burning either. Very strange.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
Wow, I can't believe you didn't smell something burning. If it was dragging hard enough to ment the wires, you should have smelled SOMETHING...

·
Premium Member
1,834 Posts
NAKID said:
Wow, I can't believe you didn't smell something burning. If it was dragging hard enough to ment the wires, you should have smelled SOMETHING...
when I toasted my rear brake, I didn't noticed anything until the complete loss of any pedal feel.
pulled over, saw the cooked speedo sensor, rotor, etc. pushed the lever w/my hand and saw this pretty green flame come up out the top of the caliper ;D rotor was scored to ****, pads were obviously glazed...

ended up just replacing the caliper completely, screw the rebuild

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Same deal with me, no warning just lose of pedal feel. Pulled over and nothing but melted parts. Also, as far as the battery seems I paid for a battery (new one) but didn't receive one. My battery won't hold a load. The manager was fired, I wonder if others had similar experience. New battery replaced free of charge. Now all is fixed except wires, pending shipping and availability. I was told a week, so I guess that means months, again :'(
if it wasn't the best riding experience on a motorcycle I would seriously consider letting her go.....

·
Premium Member
1,834 Posts
so is your bike stock? under warranty? recent service? because if the plunger for the rear MC wasn't set correctly, I'd imagine it's the shop's fault.

my rear went because I hadn't left enough slack when installing my rearsets ::) that's what I get for being a DIYer [cheeky]

ebay, or the parts for sale forum would be a good place to start. see if anyone's parting out a bike [thumbsup]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts