Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my roommates 2003 M620 seems to have a little problem. She only has a thousand miles or so on the bike but it seems to be burning oil and spitting some black tar out the back of the exhaust pipes. She took it to the dealer and they told her this was "normal", the oil burning that is. I've never seen anything like this on my '03 M800 in 10,000 miles. I was thinking about taking it to the dealer myself and inisting they don't just blow it off. What does everyone else think?

S

·
0 Posts
...As for the "black tar". My bike does spit a little black water, not really tar like, but water like on the white wall behind my bike at work. It only does it while warming up.

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know some oil consumption is normal, but this seems excessive to me. On my '03 M800 I've only had to add oil twice in 10,000 miles, other than the normal intervals. I also got some black stuff spewing out the back for the first 1000 miles, but not like this. Just not really sure, neither dealer she took the bike to seems to think it's a problem...

M

·
0 Posts
Just how constant is this oil spewage? My 620 exhibits a bit of oiliness on startup, but then cleans out and uses little to no oil during normal use. I have never had to add oil to it. How much oil is her 620 losing? I have heard on this site that up to a quart every thousand miles or so isn't too far out of the norm, but that seems a bit much to me. If her 620 is spitting oily chuff out after warm up and, say, after a good freeway blast then there's definitely a problem. Find a technician who's willing to listen.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts