Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, has anyone here built/rebuilt a Monster or any other motorcycle (just assembling I mean, no fabrication)? I figure at some point I'm going to want to build my own Monster, and would appreciate any input. BTW, does Ducati supply OEM motors/frames? I've only seen them on eBay. Thanks:)

S

·
0 Posts
i had a pretty rough tumble at a trackday a while back. as a result, i striped my bike down to bits, made some changes, and put it back together. not terribly difficult, but if you're planning on building a bike, i'd recommend finding a WHOLE bike first and replace damaged/unwanted parts from there. sourcing all the itty bitty bits individually will rack up the $$$ real quick.

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
If you're planning to buy all of your parts from Ducati expect to spend $30-50K for them.

Just about anyone who has painted their frame another color has disassembled just about everything on the bike. You should probably consider getting a Monster that "needs a little work" at a great price, take it all apart, then do each part exactly as you want.

That's what I'm planning to do "one of these days".

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Strati and Nelson, thanks for the advice; I may find a salvaged Monster instead and replace the things I want changed anyway, then maybe if I have the money and drive at some point, scratch one up from eBay-parts or whatever hehe. The only reason I ask is because I'm a techie geek...started with me not being satisfied with off-the-shelf mountain bikes in high school, and I'm trying to figure out how hard/expensive/feasible an idea it would be to build a motorcycle piece by piece. Thanks again! ;D

R

·
0 Posts
you are a tech geek?! have you think of putting a (9*6) single sided swingarm on it? I think it is something that you may find more challenging, plus it looks nicer!!

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
I've done everything above & then some, feel free to contact me off list for any help. I'm also very interested in seeing if Ducati will supply their 1000DS motor for limited OEM use (in other words, at a good price). If anyone wants to do some research with them, I'd sure appreciate it.

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
have just started re doing my monster from scratch ,new frame ,all to be re done am look for 998-996 engine or pots to put onto 916 engine i,m told this will work? custom built rear shock ,*********** front forks , well everything is being changed, also doing a under seat exhaust system on an s4r will try and post pictures soon

the more i pull it apart the easier it is to get back together ;D

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Norm,

That info would be great...not sure how to get it though, perhaps calling the US rep? I'm going to research the idea a bit, and contact you in a few weeks, thank you for the offer of assistance:)

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
Would on S4 or S4R engine fit in an '03 800 frame for example?

S

·
0 Posts
Would on S4 or S4R engine fit in an '03 800 frame for example?
yes it would. the only change you'd have to make from my knowledge is you'd have to fabricate some kind of mounting tabs for the radiator. other than that, the frames are the same. motor mount locations are identical and the swingarm pivots are the same. about as "bolt on" as you can get going from air to liquid.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Newbie here, So your basically saying I could replace my 2002 750 engine with a 900 and a s4 would only require radiator mounts and full electrics of course. Say it's so...

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
--------snip------------
... am look for 998-996 engine or pots to put onto 916 engine i,m told this will work?
-------snip------------
ST4s motor may fit, if it's got the low exhaust cams like the ST4/S4/S4R. Check clearance between the front tire and cylinderhead at full bump.

The S4 cylinder 'spigot' (the protruding portion on the bottom that would be a liner if there was one...) is 100mm diameter. 996 bore is 98mm, 998 bore is 100mm. Maybe if you got the cases bored out the 99* cylinders would fit, but I wouldn't bet on it. I suspect they spread the studs a bit further apart on the 99* motors.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts