Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

Building my own custom exhaust...(now with some pics)

4K views 45 replies 23 participants last post by  Dhillr 
#1 ·
Well, at least im gonna give it a shot. I have a week to do it, and really nothing better to do. I do have a couple of questions tho, and help would be much appreciated.

1. What size pipe can be used. I beleive stock is 40mm, and i know arcfab uses 50mm. How much difference will it make, and is it worth it?

2. Should i go 2 in 1 ? I do like the look of the single pipe going up by the swingarm rather than 2. Also if i go 2 in 1, what size pipe should the single one be?

3. I probably will have to raise the back end, and im not sure exactly what ill do. If i do a drastic frame raise, ill need dif seat and cowl, what can i use? and where do i find it?

All DMLers hlp will be very much appreciated.

Ill post some pics of bikes ive seen that i like.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Re: Building my own custom exhaust...

From Arcfab

[attachment deleted by admin]

#3 ·

Don't try and remake the wheel, copy someone's else's work that works. Less aggravation and you will have a set of pipes that will look good and have the satisfaction of making them with your own hands. A two into one pipe (50mm/60mm full system) with a 50mm header, and a 60mm exhaust. you can make the header and find a used 60mm exhaust on ebay. good luck and post up a couple of pictures of the finished product. [thumbsup]

here is a good example of a two into one exhaust.

#4 ·

crankmonster said:
Don't try and remake the wheel, copy someone's else's work that works.
I disagree. I think you should try to make something unique. That's what personalizing your Monster is all about. If you've got a week. Spend a lot of that time designing it to look just how you want, then start building it.

#6 ·

well i doubt it will be unique, i am sure there a few with undertail, or any other style i can think of. besides most of the ideas i have are from other bikes ive seen, so really nothing that unique, just the satisfaction that i would have built it myself...well mos of it at least

#7 ·

For a 620, IMO stick with 40mm or 1 5/8" tubing for the primary headers.
I think you'll lose power everywhere if you go bigger.

2 1/4" or 60mm or so for the collector/muffler.

#8 ·

Cyclopes i missed that bit about you own a 620, i thought you had a 900. speeddog is right about the size of pipe to use for the header 40mm, then add some head work and HC pistons ( do they make HCP for the 620 ). Can you tig weld Cyclopes or would you use mig?

#9 ·

Ooops, i guess i left out the part where I own a S2R1K.... ::). And i will be putting my mig welding skills to task (havent done any welding since who knows when). I will first have my exhaust guy try and see if he can fab it up for me, but nothing like getting your hands dirty. So we'll see how it goes.

I have no urge to do anything to the motor, its plenty of power for me. The exhaust is mostly for looks and a bit of uniqueness might i say ::).

Mo.

(cant wait till tomorrow morning >:D)

#10 ·

Hmmm... well, then 1 3/4" for the primaries, and 2 1/2" for the collector/muffler pipe.

It's not easy to MIG thinwall tubing...practice up before you weld the finished parts.

Perhaps mock it up with carbon steel tubing first?
Stainless tubing is expensive.

#12 ·

If you use .065" wall thickness, you can start with 1 3/4" tubing & then progress to 1 7/8" & 2" as the pipe progresses. Each tube will slip into the previous one. Use any cans you want, they are all straight thru & won't make much difference in performance.

#13 ·

Thnks for the suggestions on tube sizes, thats very helpful. The cans were more for sound rather than performance, i just dont want this system to be superloud.

I had a lil ssetback. I was gonna have my exhaust guy bend me some tubes, but his equipment wasnt able to do some of the sharp bending required. So i kinda spent the whole day looking around for mandrel bent tubing. I finally found a local shop, awesome owner who loves talkin about headers (Quite interesting fellow), who had some U bends, and megaphones. So i picked those up, and i think im now ready for tomorrow (fingers crossed)...

#14 ·

just the satisfaction that i would have built it myself...
Worth alot IMO. Go for it! [thumbsup]

#15 ·

JC Whitney has mandrel bent tubing in both carbon and stainless steel.

#16 ·

Well its coming along very well. I wish i could take credit for all of it but ..noo... My russian do-it-all coworker decided that he would have more fun with it while i worked on painting his daughter's eclipse. :-\ . All and all im glad he worked on my exhaust, i wish i could have worked on it all, but he did such a nice job taht i dont regret it so much.

Attachments

#17 ·

And now a lil cleaned up...

Attachments

#18 ·

He also "decided" to make me some mufflers. i wasnt so sure about it, since the whole purpose of this system was more flow, and better sound. But I just didnt have the heart to tell him NO. He was enjoying way more than i thought, so i just let him do what he wanted. They look nice, and helld against the pipes, and it snd very nice and deep.

Attachments

#19 ·

One more

Attachments

#23 ·
No X pipe. Most after market dont have one anyways. So i figured ill be fine, we'll see once i get it tuned.

I got the mufflers in place . Its fuzzy know, I was so excited, i was shaling all over the place lol

Attachments

#24 ·
And here it is... All done ...

Attachments

#26 ·
Oh man... can you post pics of her all buttoned up? I think you might have sparked an idea!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.