Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been trying to plan a custom exhaust project to do this winter for about 6 months now, and I think I am almost ready to start buying parts.  I have a few questions for anyone who has attempted to do any kind of custom exhaust work; I would also appreciate any input that people may have. 

First, a general rundown of what I am planning:
I know that I want to make the new system high mount, so my initial idea was to modify my DP low mount Carbon Fiber cans to stick them up by the seat; in the process, I was also thinking about shortening them a bit (but after considering this, I don't think it would be worth it).  The second idea I had was to use a set of stock aluminum cans, core them, shorten them, and make them into high mounts.  Either way, in terms of what I will use for "S" pipes, I have become really intrigued by the idea of "flexible exhaust tubing," which can be found at JC Whitney and other similar stores.  The other option that I was considering was using a "universal" type exhaust can, as found here: http://www.mufflermall.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=402 , or something of the sort. 

My questions are as follows:
-What diameter is the "inlet" for the stock muffler, and the tubing from the engine?  (I can't measure because I am currently unable to access my bike as I am at school)
-Has anyone seen/herd of anyone using either:
     1.  The flexible exhaust tubing (I know some people have because there are some posts here)
     2.  "Universal" type mufflers as mentioned above.

I would love to get some input, and maybe some pics, from people who have actually set up a custom exhaust (Norm, I really like what you did on your custom bike).

Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
Re: Building a Custom Exhaust

I make custom exhausts, but have never worked with the flex tubing. Universal mufflers work fine, you just have to figure out the mounting. I forget the pipe size coming from the heads, but it's pretty small, something like 1 1/2" or 1 5/8" (in mm of course).

·
Premium Member
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

I'm glad that you saw this Norm, I was just on your site today looking at all the cool stuff (I'm saving up for a SSS ;)). I was wondering if you had any pics of your custom exhausts? I've seen the one on your bike, but I'd love to see some more. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Wanna elaborate on that a little Chas? You have any insider info that we all could benefit from?

·
Premium Member
108 Posts

Hmm this is a great idea. Theoretically it shouldnt be too difficult for you to actually fit the muffler on the stock pipe. Even if the hole diameters do not fit any metal fabricator can make you some neat adaptors. As Norm states the problem will be with the mounting. I'll have to ponder on this alternative as I am thinking about a exhaust mod myself.

good find !!

Migrane.

·
Registered
313 Posts

Please update with any finds on this project...I'd like to do something totally custom as well.

Any non-naysayers have info on the flexible tubing? That would REALLY solve my one puzzle piece in my minds design.

·
Premium Member
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

I am going to modify the thread title to include "flexable exhaust tubing," hopefully that will catch the attention of people with some experience with it.

·
Premium Member
1,305 Posts
I know of a guy that used it on a [email protected] vfr. He wanted to raise the clearance and is one of those guys that likes to McGyver everything . He did it first as a template issue  that he was going to have made into solid tubing by a muffler shop but when he saw it worked ok he stayed with it.He's got a couple thousand hard miles on the bike. Here is  a link to another site where flex tubing was used on a Duc. Pic #70http://www.southbayriders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1323&page=5&pp=15 Hmmnn link doesn't work but if you go to the site open the ducati forum and click on the "post your dream ducati here". Go to page 5 halfway down the page . Hope this helps, Hog

·
Premium Member
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Excellent find [clap] !! Any chance of getting some pics of the VFR?

·
Registered
319 Posts

As with cars, flexible tubing hurts the pulses of the exhaust gas from the engine.  It cannot flow through as well as a mandrel bent tube that is smooth. 

Plus I think it looks bad.  The flex tubing on the site deserteagle.50 posted is a little different (more like steel braided).  Not sure what the inside looks like though.

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
how 'bout if you did something like in the pic, but then wrapped it in exhaust wrap to hide the flexable tubing look?

·
Premium Member
1,305 Posts
sort of like a "red cherry bomb" muffler aka speeddog [laugh] I been trying to get a pic of the vfr for a while now , I know he bought it at autozone though

·
Premium Member
51 Posts

deserteagle.50 said:
Wanna elaborate on that a little Chas?  You have any insider info that we all could benefit from?                                                                                     Hmmm...it looks like crap.It's not smooth on the inside so can't be good for flow and it looks like crap.When I was a youngster my pal's and I would use it to patch up the exhoust on our beater cars and farm equpment.

·
Premium Member
245 Posts
Dont know about using it on motorcycles, but for cars it's used as a temp fix, dont think cars will pass inspection with it. Seems to me that it would rust quickly. Cant imagine that it would cost too much to have the little bit of exhaust on a bike done custom, but I havent looked at prices. :-\

·
Premium Member
694 Posts
They look kind of weird! :eek:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts