Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do I remove them? I tried some Flitz metal polish on a rag but it did nothing. Should I try the Flitz again with some steel wool? The header in question is a Spark one from Desmoworld & it has a really nice finish & I don't want to scrath it or dull it.

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
GusDuc said:
How do I remove them? I tried some Flitz metal polish on a rag but it did nothing. Should I try the Flitz again with some steel wool? The header in question is a Spark one from Desmoworld & it has a really nice finish & I don't want to scrath it or dull it.
hit it with the steel wool

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
Is it a brushed finish or polished? The steel wool or kitchen pot scrubbing pad, will leave a nice brushed finish, but you'll have to work is back up if it's polished. If you go steel wool, use the finest grade you can find.

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
Norm said:
Is it a brushed finish or polished? The steel wool or kitchen pot scrubbing pad, will leave a nice brushed finish, but you'll have to work is back up if it's polished. If you go steel wool, use the finest grade you can find.
it's more of a polished look, I have the desmoworld slip ons and you basically just have to go at it with some steel wool and bring the polish back up like norm suggests here

·
Registered
969 Posts
I don't remember who originally posted it but somebody posted a link to a Triumph Board and the guy gave up this "secret" for taking the brown off of stainless.

I used it and it works better than any polish out there.........

OK, get some Lime Away at your grocery store (in like the bathroom/laundry cleaning products section).

Get the "Thick Formula" not the spray stuff.

Take off belly pan or anything else in the way. Get some rubber gloves, some cotton balls and put a nice coating of the LimeAway on any stainless parts of your exhaust system. DO NOT get this stuff on aluminum or painted parts...if you do, wash it off with water quickly.

Let the stuff set for a while and clean it off.

The real dark areas take a while to get back to a silver color, sometimes a few application. This stuff is an acid so once you are happy with the color, I use a hot water/baking soda mixture to neutralize the acid. Then flush with plain water, dry and if you feel you want to polish after the brown color removal, I use Zephyer Pro 40 Perfection to give it a final gloss.

My system is the Spark CAT elminator pipe, stock Ducati "S" pipes and Arc Fabrication stainless, slash cut megs. This stuff is the only thing I found that will really clean that bead blasted finish of the stock Ducati parts. I mean the "S" pipes look nearly white once you are done...This is the Trick!! for cleaning stainless steel!

Your pipes right out of the head will brown up fairly quickly again but those parts that don't get real hot, stay silver for a long time after treatment.

The guy on the Triumph list takes his system off the bike to clean, I did not and had no problems but I was careful and I did neutralize with the baking soda and water and then the clear water rinse. I have done this twice in 7500 miles and it is a truly great trick!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts