Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So this evening I started my first go around at checking the valve clearances and changing the timing belt on my wife's 2003 Monster 620.

I watched the video's and read all the info I could find online.

Things were all going really well until I took the valve cover off of the horizontal exhaust valve. There was a two inch long peice of metal and a bunch of metal shavings that came off with the cover.

I've tracked the peice down to be a broken return rocker spring. I have to take a closer look to find out where all the metal shaving were coming from.

My question is, how hard is it to replace this part myself? Or is is something that I need to take to the deal to do? Does anyone have a part number for this?

It's a 2003 Monster 620 with 6058 miles on it. I got the bike used, but to my knowledge this is the first time the valves have been checked.

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
It's not hard but you have to remove the shaft and then wrestle with the spring to get it in place. It's hard (impossible?) to do it wrong, but you may want to notch a screwdriver to keep your sanity.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
After calling the dealer to get a price quote to replace the spring I decided to try it myself first. They wanted $87 in labor with me taking the head off myself and taking it down to them. The part was $4.50.

Changing it was actually a peice of cake and probably only took me 10-15 min. I made a shaft puller out of some 5mm all-thread, a nut and washer and a deep well socket.

The key was to zip tie the spring as tight as I could. I put everything back in place, cut the zip tie, installed the shims and I was done.

I think with being a bit crafty I could now do this without taking the head off.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, but I may have claim victory a bit too early.

I got everything back together. The bike started up fine and idled with no problems.

But when I took it out of a spin around the block it now has a slight hesitation and lag at low RPM's. Definatly less low rmp power than before I took it aprat.

All the valves were within specs, so I didn't change any shims. The only thing I did was replace that spring.

I pulled both plugs and they seem fine. Both are getting a good spark. I checked to see if I possibly pinched a fuel line when putting everything back and the lines look good.

It kind of feels like old carbed bike I've had with vacuum leaks, but I for sure reattached everything I took off.

I'm kind of puzzled now.

Any suggestions on where to check next. I'm going to check the compression in the morning just to be sure.

Bike idles and starts fine, just hesitates and lacks low RPM power. The RPM's do seem to take a bit longer to return to idle speed after reving it up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts