Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a 94 M900, but it has 2 broken head studs. One on the vertical and one on the horizontal. Tore it down to find they are broken in the case. Im going to replace all the studs so i wont have this problem anymore, but even the studs that i can get a puller on wont even move. The steel that the studs are made of has ruined two of my stud pullers and have barely left a dent in the stud. Nothing will drill the broken ones to attempt a ez out, even carbide and cobalt will only make a shiny spot. Has anyone had this problem and may have some tricks to fixing it. The only way i see to fix it is to gutt the motor and plung cut it on a mill. Please help.
TIA,
Rob

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
Been there done that. I modified a steel plate to bolt to the engine to which I attached a mag base drill press. These are used for drilling 1" thick plate steel on vertical uprights of buildings and ships. Then I made a special drill pilot to fit in one hole to start the drilling with a 1/8" HSS drill bit. Nothing special, just used cutting oil and the low speed setting on the drill (150 rpm?). I've got pics, too, I should really make a webpage about that. It was cool. Ended up using the mag base to drill out cases and also to hold the tap for the proper helicoil.

:) Chris

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i've welded bolts to the ends of studs that are broken off at case level. just coat everything around that you can't cover with grease and chamfer the end of the bolt down. you need a steady hand, but even with our crappy mig it worked well.

the heat going into the stud directly probably helps too.

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
Same trick, different method. If you can't quite get a clean shot at the end of the stud from the sides to weld a bolt onto it, sometimes you can weld a nut onto the end by shooting down the middle of the nut and starting your puddle on the end of the stud and filling to penetrate the insides of the nut. Kind of a deep plug weld.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts