Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a 94 M900, but it has 2 broken head studs. One on the vertical and one on the horizontal. Tore it down to find they are broken in the case. Im going to replace all the studs so i wont have this problem anymore, but even the studs that i can get a puller on wont even move. The steel that the studs are made of has ruined two of my stud pullers and have barely left a dent in the stud. Nothing will drill the broken ones to attempt a ez out, even carbide and cobalt will only make a shiny spot. Has anyone had this problem and may have some tricks to fixing it. The only way i see to fix it is to gutt the motor and plung cut it on a mill. Please help.
TIA,
Rob

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
I had to do one like that a few years back. As I recall, I center punched the stud & sat down with a handfull of drill bits, using each one until it went dull. When finished, I cleaned up the hole & installed a heli-coil. It's frustrating & slow going.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Not FHE, but this is the best idea I have:

On the studs you can put some torque on, try soaking the thread area with penetrating oil, letting it sit for a while, then applying as much heat as you dare to the surrounding crankcase area with a heat gun. The aluminum will expand at a greater rate than the steel, and it will help loosen the interference a bit. Apply torque....

·
Registered
94 Posts
Ferrous metal can de be dissolved from aluminum by a chemical process using either nitric acid or alum, or by using EDM, (electrical discharge machining). This subject comes up often in rec.crafts.metalworking, removing broken taps & whatnot. You can do a search on the processes using google groups search. The disadvantage is that the offending part must be submerged in the brew.

Good luck

·
Premium Member
451 Posts
Well if the broken stud is close to flush with the top of the hole you can try MIG welding a nut to the top of the broken stud (through the hole in the nut). The heat from the weld will loosen up the threads and the nut will give you something to torque on. I have done this many times, always worked for me. Just be careful when doing the welding!

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
I like that welded nut idea, I'm going to put that on my list to try.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts