Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While removing the bottom bolt that holds the rearset and kick stand in place I snapped it off. Looks like the bolt is bent and the threads strip.(Maybe from a two mile an hour tip over)Any suggestions on how to remove it or what type of shop to take it to?

S

·
0 Posts
just drill it, get a tao set, reverse thread tap it, then remove it. really easy, plus you get a tap set out of it :)

i kinda like reapairs, I get more and more tools :)

T

·
0 Posts
Sounds to me like you got lucky....aluminum case and all. Just be careful when you drill it. A screw up could be costly.

S

·
0 Posts
well, youcan just take it o a dealer and have them take it out....jsut tap into it about 1/3"

and take your time. If I was near you, I would do it for you. where oyu located ?

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
Anyone use a "heila coil" good or bad???????
Has nothing to do with removing a borken bolt. I suggest left handed drill bit and lightly attempt using an EZOut. If that doesn't work, take it to the dealer. Or you can remove engine, drain all oil, ship it to me, and I can put it on my milling machine and remove the bolt... :p

;D

·
Registered
461 Posts
Helicoils are wonderful. On the gas turbine engines my company makes we use those as standard equipment whenever we tap an aluminum or magnesium housing for a load-bearing screw. Easy to use and available at any car parts store.

-Don

·
Registered
796 Posts
One of my kickstand bracket bolt holes was stripped and its got a Heli coil in it now. As good as new!

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
May I suggest one of these, if you can't get the broken bolt out without harming the threads:

http://www.timesert.com/

LOTS easier to install and more reliable.

DISCLAIMER:
To say I am not fond of Heli-Coils is an understatement....the aerospace community loves 'em, to such an extent that they've brainwashed lots of folks to mistrust any threads in aluminum. I've had guys who should know better ask for Heli-Coils in 6061-T6 aluminum for a no-load part that's only going to get a few cycles of assembly/disassembly. Granted, on some materials, especially magnesium, you've got no option but to use an insert, as mag is not very strong stuff.
Personal experience, they're a total PITA to install, not very reliable in a marginal drilling/tapping situation like you're facing, and they make total mayhem when they gall onto the bolt. Time-Serts are a far better alternative IMHO. Just a satisfied customer.......

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the recommendation the timesert looks good. I need that detailed instruction they provide. Do you know what size I would need?

·
Registered
796 Posts
If its the same hole I did then its M10 x 1.5

1 - 13 of 13 Posts