Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever hear of the "buttons" on brembo rotors sticking? Makes the brakes feel like a warped rotor. I was told to clean them with brake cleaner and lube them, which works for a short time, but then the same thing happens. Only 3000 miles.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
What kind of Brembo rotors are ya talking about Herb?
Stock kind or did ya get full floating Brembo's or did you add aftermarket buttons to the stock rotors?
Never heard of that one....not that it could not happen I suppose...

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They're full floating stock Brembo's. My buddy has an Aprillia, he said
he's seen the topic come up on the Aprilla message board.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Herb,

The OEM rotors are semi floating (at least the ones I have seen are). I've swapped the semi floating buttons for STM full floating buttons on my Monster. I've heard you can modify the OEM semi floating buttons by flattening the spring washers- but I've never done that myself. Maybe someone else can walk you through this.

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Moto, do you have any info on the STM full floating buttons? Where do I find them etc.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Herb,

We have them in stock.

http://tinyurl.com/f6i8

There is some information on this page. But give us a call or email if you have any questions. I like them on my bike and most of the people who have put them on the bike like them as well

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
See Herb I thought you meant the stock Brembo's but I couldn't tell by the way you answered.....so are you sure ya haven't warped your rotors? It still seems a little odd to me about the stock buttons being the cause without checking the rotors before buying buttons....just a thought.....I got STM's buttons but I still want Braketech Axis floaters and a 999 radial brake in front....the buttons should help with the heat though.....and hopefully keep the rotors from warping..but if they are already....although you did say it went away for awhile.......hmmmmm.....
you are a demon on the front brakes aren't ya? ;D

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey Retro. Yeah, I checked the runout with a dial indicator, they're flat. My buddy told me the buttons may be sticking, so I tried to rotate them, and they were really tight.
I cleaned them until I could turn them easily by hand. gave them a little lube, and tested them. No shakes at all...for about 100 miles. Then it came back. Really noticeable coming to a stop from say, 10 mph.
So you've never heard of this? I think I'll try a warranty claim.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Retro,

The 999 master cylinder does not fit on bikes with two piece clip-ons. The reservoirs do not have enough clearance for anything close to the bar. They will fit handlebars and one piece clip-ons that don't bolt together.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Martin.....are you saying the bolt pattern is different so that a spacer does not work?

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm so attatched to the m1000 now, I couldn't trade it. Right now I have no payments and would like to keep it that way.

I'll give myself a couple years to save, so I can pay cash for the 999s. Maybe I'll find a leftover in about a year and a half, and keep the monster, too!

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I hear ya. I just made my final payment.......hehe....and they said it couldn't be done.........but this week end I went out with some SBK guys and I used to have a 748 and seeing them out front carving up the road brought a tear to my eye....sniff.... :-[

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I heard that! I made my final payment when I picked it up! ;D

Now I spend money on mods. But no matter how much I spend, it's not going to be a SBK. All but one of my friends ride SBKs, so I get alittle "green" sometimes, especially when I could have gotten a used 996 for less than my new Monster.
Not that I'm complaining, I just want both.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
nope it's never going to be an SBK......you just gotta have both there is no other way.....sides when one is in the shop........

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ah, Yes! The $5000 "S". Hey, you can't take it with you, right? Plus, I think it has those fancy aluminum rotor buttons!
Ya see? It's destiny calling! Herb....HERB....

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Okay Herb...since my oem buttons never spun, and I haven't had your problems and not hearing of that before, I decided to talk to Manley about it today......They did not think it would be the buttons.....but said it could be a number of things....first thoughts were the pads.....or calipers.....or steering head bearings.....
they also did not like the idea of lubing the buttons in case the lube would go into the pads......also something about the pins themsleves could be the cause, I don't think I caught all the ideas.....feel free to call them of course, but I am sure you should be able to sort it out with your dealer......when they heard the
stop shudder symptom their first thought was the steering head bearings.....just thought I would pass this on maybe it proves to be helpful.....just seemed too odd to me to be the buttons and if the rotors are straight? Again let us know what ya find out,,,,,thanks

1 - 20 of 28 Posts