Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any ill effects to installing a K&N Breather?? I hate the crappy hoses and junk that come stock, and want to cough up the $20 and get one...
Also, how easy/hard is it to install the emissions removal kit?? anyone out there install one?
Thanks in advance... 8)

G

·
I was just talking to Pato Hombre about the emissions removal during our ride to an AZ Bike Week event. I'm interested in that mod too. Who's got the info??

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Are there any ill effects to installing a K&N Breather??

DISCLAIMER- High performance engines put out a lot of crankcase pressure which
could result in oil being forced out of the breather under certain conditions. This
is not normal, but it is possible, that's why I am warning you. In the event oil is
forced out, it could get on the tire and result in a crash. Again, it should NOT do
that (the breather valve is supposed to let air but not oil out), but it could happen.
Perform this mod at your own risk.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
That was just something I ran across on their website. I am not sure how "real" of a concern it is or if it is more of a theoretical concern.

G

·
i took the box out and replaced the stock breather with a new one from STM. i put a kn filter on the stock breather hose and attached this set up onto the new STM breather.

here's a picture

·
Premium Member
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
cool... I'll probably do the breather this month then... anyone out there do emissions removal??? is it simple?? Does it effect performance at all, besides stripping off a few pounds of junk?
Any drawbacks?? 8)

·
Premium Member
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
one more think.. what's up with "the I love YaBB 1G - SP1!" ? I have no clue whre it came from, and why it's attatched to my messages.. 8/

·
Registered
96 Posts
Heres another one. This uses the K&N filter in the TPO kit. TPO are a DML site sponsor and the kit is only $25 or so. The kit includes 3 different sized plugs to fill the hole in your air box after removing the longer of the 2 hoses. + really easy to follow instructions.

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
Given how it is known on mailing lists and boards that mounting a filter like that can causes oil misting (so close to the rear tire), it is irresponsible for a vendor to sell a kit with instructions on doing this mod.

sarcastically: Do they also claim a HP increase in their hyperbole as with other products? Because this mod results in loss of crankcase scavenging. Crankcase scavenging has been proven to increase HP.

I'll agree that this alteration is one which "looks good" and makes for less clutter...

:p chris

Heres another one. This uses the K&N filter in the TPO kit. TPO are a DML site sponsor and the kit is only $25 or so. The kit includes 3 different sized plugs to fill the hole in your air box after removing the longer of the 2 hoses. + really easy to follow instructions.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Any drawbacks?? 8)
The drawback is "high performance engines put out a lot of crankcase pressure which
could result in oil being forced out of the breather under certain conditions. This
is not normal, but it is possible, that's why I am warning you. In the event oil is
forced out, it could get on the tire and result in a crash. Again, it should NOT do
that (the breather valve is supposed to let air but not oil out), but it could happen.
Perform this mod at your own risk. "

·
Premium Member
1,679 Posts
I think this thread does a good job of summing up the guru's arguments against:

http://speedzilla.zeroforum.com/zerothread?id=14493

The arguments for seem to be purely aesthetic (not that there's anything wrong with that). I did the mod to mine, but I had a bit of oil-misting I didn't like. So I put mine back to stock within a couple weeks, and that was before I emailed Nichols for his opinion, which pretty much sealed it for me.

G

·
I think this thread does a good job of summing up the guru's arguments against:

http://speedzilla.zeroforum.com/zerothread?id=14493

The arguments for seem to be purely aesthetic (not that there's anything wrong with that). I did the mod to mine, but I had a bit of oil-misting I didn't like. So I put mine back to stock within a couple weeks, and that was before I emailed Nichols for his opinion, which pretty much sealed it for me.
Tom do you have the filter right on top of the breather or do you have the filter attached to the stock hose on top of the breather. i have this set up (filter attached to the stock hose on top of the breather) and have had no problems with this setup.

·
Premium Member
1,679 Posts
Tom do you have the filter right on top of the breather or do you have the filter attached to the stock hose on top of the breather. i have this set up (filter attached to the stock hose on top of the breather) and have had no problems with this setup.
oneducs,

I'm running the OEM system, tank and all. My original motivation to remove the oil tank was to make room to hang a bicycle tool bag.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Given how it is known on mailing lists and boards that mounting a filter like that can causes oil misting (so close to the rear tire), it is irresponsible for a vendor to sell a kit with instructions on doing this mod.

:p chris
There are some pretty strong and conflicting opinions on this mod. I can say that I have had it installed for 6 months of hard, high speed, open road running on my M1000 and there is no sign of any oil discharge. Not even any mysterious "oil misting" whatever that is supposed to be.

I check the K&N filter and the rear hugger for oil stains with a clean rag every now and then and never seen a spot.

From what I can see, even if the K&N blew off the breather valve and a great wad of oil ejaculated out of the crank, it would only splatter the rear hugger anyway. Not going to make contact with the tyre.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts