Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a specific way to break in new front rotors and brake pads. For the second time they are being replaced (under warranty) by the dealer, because they are "warped". Last time they were replaced they got warped again right away. I don't think I'm riding too hard on them. And I'm not doing stoppies, so I don't know why this is happening.
Anyways, maybe I didn't break them in correctly?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Nice steady braking for the first 100 or so miles to properly seat the pads and friction material. No hard stopping. IE..ride like a sissy.

M

·
0 Posts
like he said progressive and anticipated braking for the first 100 miles or so.

·
Registered
849 Posts
You should first pull the brake lever a few times so the pads fit snug against the rotors. The virgin, flat surfaces of the pads and rotors won't "grab" all that well yet until they are seated. Drive out to an empty road and accelerate to 40 mph. Apply brakes until you slow to 20 mph, then let off on the brake and accelerate to 40 again. Repeat as often as you safely can. An occasional stop at an intersection won't damage anything (I try to stay off the brakes while I'm stopped to prevent warping while the brakes are hot). What you are doing is getting the parts to rub against each other in such a way to maximize the "grip area". Don't seat your pads, and you risk "glazing" them.

Have fun,

-R.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts