Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I may buy a 2003 Monster 800 400 miles away. If the weather is right, I'd REALLY like to save the shipping fees by riding it home. Is that Ok to put so many highway miles on it right away? Could I be screwing it up. New to bike + 400 miles.... maybe = disaster?

If I don't ride her home. I have a friend with a pickup...but no experience (or RAMP) transporting a bike. Dumb question...but how do you do it?

Also, are you finding going above 750 ccs (even just to 800ccs) makes for a big jump in insurance? Anyone find a good insurance co. that this is not the case?

All advice extremely appreciated. Thank you.

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
Re: Breaking in a 2003 800 -- buying 400 miles awa

I just bought my Monsters, brought them home in a truck. All we did was back the truck up to an elevated surface we could get the bikes onto the same level as the bed, and pushed them across my friends ramp (8 inch channel). In lieu of channel a 2x10 or the like works fine. As far as lashing it down, we used nylon straps wrapped around the handle bars with motorcycle straps attached to them down to hooks in the bed. Just compress your front forks so that it wont bounce out of the straps in travel. Also we attached a strap around the back end and back to the front of the bed to keep them from rolling backwards. No sidestand. one of you compresses the forks while the other tightens straps. Works great.

·
Premium Member
752 Posts

You could ride it home, but depending on where you'll get it serviced, you would have to turn around and ride back for the 600 mile service ;D

·
Premium Member
186 Posts

If you are already an experienced rider this shouldn't be too hard. The first 100 miles are the most critical of the first 600. If you can choose a route with limited or no freeway.

Take it easy and keep the revs under 5000 but make sure you vary them. Don't cruise at one speed or RPM for any length of time. If you have a lot of freeway to do then vary your speed and change gears often (fifth and sixth). It's definitely okay to "get on it" with heavy acceleration or deceleration. This will load the engine and help to seat the rings and valves properly.

If you are not an experienced rider then just pick up a piece of 2x12 at your local lumber yard and use this as a ramp. Just make sure you have help to load the bike. You should be able to pick up a set of tie downs at the lumber yard also. Use two for the front (one on each handlebar side) and two for the back. Or you could rent a motorcycle trailer from U-Haul or some such company. I am sure the dealer will help you load it...

I have an 800 also and have thoroughly enjoyed it. Got it in July and already have 8700 miles on it :D

Congratulations!!!

Uncle_Duck

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Thanks Uncle Duck! Really appreciate the help. You too, Green 98gt. Nice to know Ducati owners are so knowledgeable and...well, nice. Still would love to hear what others think.
T

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

I brought mine home in my pickup just because I didn't have any friends around at the time to drive my truck home so I could ride the bike. Loading it in the truck is no biggie. It definitely helps if you have the truck backed up to an elevated area so the ramp has a very slight or no incline to it. A 2x12 should be adequate, but since you're buying the new bike why not spring for a ramp and some tie downs? They're bound to come in handy someday. The shop you buy it from should definitely have tie downs as well as soft-ties to use so the tie down hooks don't scratch the bars. I just used two tie downs, one to each side of the bars and it was a piece of cake.

As far as break-in, yes, baby it for the first 600 miles, keeping the tach below 5000, varying the rpms, with occasional bursts above 5000 but not sustained. Good around town and back road jaunts are nice, with a few cooling off periods thrown in for good measure. In other words, bring it home in the truck and then break it in. Above all, have fun and congratulations on the new Monster!!!

Oh yeah, insurance really pops up when you get the S4 because they view it as a superbike a-la the 916. My roommate's S4 is about double to insure as compared to my 620. Don't know for sure about the 800, but you're probably safe to assume it'll be cheap to insure. Try Geico - I got a great rate.

·
Premium Member
118 Posts

I found insurance through State Farm for $392 a year for my s4r. They were much more reasonable than Allstate was and I've had my policy through them for 10 years.

·
Registered
48 Posts

i have a 02 750 that i bought new gieco insurance full coverage $403.00 that includes uninsured motorist(i do live so. cal) ;). Good Luck

·
Registered
1,016 Posts

i hate it when people talk about insurance. I feel so dejected paying 160 a month when people pay 400 a flippin year. of course I am 20, so i'm prolly getting shafted by Progressive

·
Premium Member
241 Posts

My friends 2002 S4 is cheaper than my 86 Fazer . He has his insurance through Ducati less than 400 per year. Full coverage.

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts

geeniusatwork,

You're getting the shaft on insurance prices it sounds like. When I called to get insurance I called 16 different agencies for quotes. Being 24 at the time I was quoted anything from $400-$7000 a year! Needless to say I took the cheapest one. Take the time to call around and find a deal, it is definitely worth it...

·
Premium Member
922 Posts

I will agree with uncleduc about the ride and the truck and add:

I am sure the dealer will be willing to roll it into your truck. They do it every day and are good at it. Every shop has a ramp. Ask when you are buying.

When unloading there are 2 other tricks to add to the tips already mentioned.
1. You can back the truck up to an embankment, hill, loading dock or yard lanscaping that is about the same height as the tailgate and just back it off. I have a friend who always uses dips in highway medians or on the side of the road to load/unload his bike.
2. Pull up to a bar full of bikers when you get home. Announce that you need help unloading your new bike. A few guys can lift the back as you walk it backward and set the tail down. Then 1 can balance the rear while they grab the front and set it down. I have done this. First time I saw it was a buddy (who always used this method) who made the announcement in the Iron Horse Saloon in Daytona and we lifted out a 800+ lb. 1978 Electraglide.

I brought mine home in the truck because it was over 400 miles and snowing when I bought it.

Doc

1 - 13 of 13 Posts