Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my first bike, mad it a 97 750. I love it, got on it the first and only decent day up here in upstate new york. I was wondering if i could get some in put on how to dress it up a little. I nice way to start, maybe some visual and performance HP.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
At the risk of coming off smug, I suggest:

1) invest in yourself first; good gear, good lessons (MSF courses and later track days), good reading (see the suggested books thread and subscribe to Motorcycle Consumer News, MCN)

2) hang around on the tech and accesories/mods forum a while and see what people are talking about. Then ask some specific questions rather than something this broad.

3) use the search feature on this board. Try searches like "first mods," "best mods," "favorite mods." The search feature is pretty weak, but there is plenty of information exactly along the lines you've asked.

4) read the FAQ. This is addressed there too.

Finally:
Welcome to motorcycling
Welcome to Ducati
Welcome to Monsters
Hope you settle in to this community as many of us have.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input, I recently took an 14 hr course at the local college. I am now looking for a way to spice it up, stand apart a little, know what I mean?

·
Registered
366 Posts
The irony is that if you want it to stand out from the Monster crowd, you should probably leave the bike stock ;) ;D

Thanks for the input, I recently took an 14 hr course at the local college. I am now looking for a way to spice it up, stand apart a little, know what I mean?

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
That's what we (mostly) all want. But I suggest you take some time looking at pictures (real bikes if they're available) and studying performance and aesthetic options.

I had a list of changes before I bought my bike, influenced mostly by the precusor to this board (the DML). I dove into mods right away but that wasn't the way to do it.

I've since modified my list drastically based on my experience on the bike. For example, in spite of all the bitching on this board about the stock seat, I like mine fine. Good thing I didn't replace it before I got a chance to evaluate it.

The other, more subtle thing, is that I realized a while ago that I was bolting on mods without any coherent picture of what I was trying to create. It was unsatisfying.

I now know what I want (but will likely never get there ;D). This guides my mod priorities for most efficient use of my cash. If money is no object, forget everything I've said ;)

Bottom line is we're all modifying our bikes. You want to make yours distinctive. You can't do that without spending a fair amount of time learning what others have done and why.

I know you've got the itch (I acted on mine), but I advise taking some time; maybe waiting until winter to get into the mods.

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
I think what Don is trying to say is something you will read a lot on this forum: Just ride it. You'll decide what you want over time, but bone stock the Monster is a great bike. Since you asked, though, if you have stock exhaust (I can't believe there's a 97 that still does) I'd get aftermarket pipes first, just for the sound.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Get gear.
Stand out like a smart rider.
Ride it safely.

Look at the pics here in the main page links.
Put Your pics out there.

Start modifying if You still like to.

Take all out. Make it more nude.
or
Add some stuff (carbon fibre or chrome )

and after all that comes performance mods.

Welcome and enjoy

Skier

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well the bike came jetted, something i knowlittle about, and came with a single header instead of the stock dual. Although I have in my posession the original. Also came with a Fast by Feracci Carbon Fiber can. So one of things I was wondering is if I should go back to dual exhaust or leave it single. Or go dual and pick up a matching can for the other side. Little Help? I guess I have a lot of questions I'll be asking in the next few months. Thanks guys.

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
Welcome to the clan. Within a year you will either be out of motorcycling or a total addict. There does not seem to be a middle ground.

Don't be put off by the advice to go slow at first. Concern and wisdom gained from experience. A Monster is a lot of bike for a first bike to learn on. Grow into the bike. Enjoy the progress.

Re the performance mods: You are there for mods unless you start tearing into the motor. Today's motors use a very lean gas:air mixture to meet emissions standards and restrictive mufflers to meet federal noise standards. Both of these things impair performance. Whoever set up your bike wanted a basically stock bike runnung as well as it could and making as much power as it can. The single muffler is probably much less restrictive than stock even though it is only 1, you will also notice that it is louder. The K&N airfilter lets more air flow to the carbs. You may not be able to pick out the sound yet, but the sucking sound from the open airbox is also louder (again, the feds measure overall noise and this counts). The "rejet" compensates for the increased airflow. Remember the lean gas:air mixture? Well more air flowing in and out will lean it out further...to the point where damage can result. The rejet replaces small jets (small plugs with different size openings for gas to flow through) with larger jets to correct the fuel:air mixture. Changing pipes or going back to a stock airbox will require you to do another rejet. Current setup will make the bike more responsive, especially once the motor is spinning some without hurting gas mileage too much. In theory, the mods you have can be more efficient, but we all ride more responsive bikes like they are more responsive bikes. Unless you hate the Ducati sound, leave it as is.

Re the cosmetic mods: Don't feel the need to rush. See what YOU like. A theme will emerge that suits you, not this collective. A little paint here, polish there, CF somewhere else... you can end up with a mess (expensive mess too). Start with a plan and then start modifying. The bike already stands out. If you have to start now, I suggest the side stand. If you have a side stand that retracts automatically, get rid of it ASAP. The one mod you do not want is the dent most of us older Monster owners have in our gas tanks. There are a few ways to do it from free to over $100. Search the Ducati suite or this board. Issue 2: New riders drop bikes. Not necessarily crash, but drop. At stoplights, when checking oit level, whe adjusting the chain, at gas pumps, parking them wrong, moving them around... Nubies tend to drop bikes. There are other mistakes too: misplaced bungies, loose luggage, misjudged clearance, etc. No offense. You may be the second coming of Mike Hailwood. But betting on the odds that you are not, the odds are that sh1t happens and some kind of sh1t will happen to you. Upgrade stuff after you mess it up. Hope I'm wrong, but I tend to bet where the odds are...

Good gear will help make the experience better. Protective gear, luggage that works, accessories that make the ride better, stuff like that. Search the board or ask specific questions. There are lots of opinions and folks who LOVE to share what they think.

Welcome again. Be careful and have fun. You just changed you life.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Unfortunately the bike allready has that small scratch and dent on the tank. Its been touched up and hard to see, but I know its there. I guess a good place to start would be cleaning up the little things on the bike that are allready there. Are the legendary gas tank dents easily fixed? I have done body work on MV's in the past but don't have a clue on bikes. My first impression is that the whole tank will need to be painted if any work is done on the dent. Or have you noticed must people leave the dent alone? The rest of the bike is in great condition. I was shocked by the great care put into the bike, and plan keep that going. The bike also has 14k on it and I understand at 16 there is a reccommended valve adjustment? And I was also curious if there is anything important I should know before the first oil change i do on the bike?

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
That's what I was thinking... ;)

The irony is that if you want it to stand out from the Monster crowd, you should probably leave the bike stock ;) ;D

·
Registered
796 Posts
If you want to get rid of that 2 into 1 header and pipe set up let me know I have been looking for something like that.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
For the time being I think I'll hold onto it. Probably leave as is for now. Kinda wanna hold on to any spare parts anyways for a while. But let ya know if that changes.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts