Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
No map. ECU is stock. This model of the slip on doesn't require a remap. And I've been running with it for 100 miles so I guess an incompatibility would have surfaced before now.
i'm pretty sure this slip on doesn't have a cat? if it doesn't, i doubt it would cause a problem like this but who knows, maybe the ecu tried to adapt over the 100 miles and is causing issues now. good luck with the resolution. i have a fairly new 2019 1200s with 1,300 mi and being my first ducati, i'm crossing my fingers with the whole reliability thing too.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
i'm pretty sure this slip on doesn't have a cat? if it doesn't, i doubt it would cause a problem like this but who knows, maybe the ecu tried to adapt over the 100 miles and is causing issues now. good luck with the resolution. i have a fairly new 2019 1200s with 1,300 mi and being my first ducati, i'm crossing my fingers with the whole reliability thing too.
Nah it's a Euro-4 compliant so it doesn't need tuning or anything like that. I was planning to get the Project SC Ti pipes at some point. Those would have required tuning.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
$500 to transport is steep, so I guess it is something of a long way.
That makes it tough, I'm sure.
GLW Fix.
Because of inflation. So far that's the cheapest price I can find by far. Looks like Ducati Roadside will be helping me out again and they will cover some of it. Of course, that's until it gets to a dealer and they find some way to determine this isn't a warranty repair, which is how my universe tends to work so far.

When I was buying this bike back in April, I was shopping around and a shipping estimate from Atlanta to Louisiana was $350. Now just for Louisiana to Houston I am getting estimates from $500 to $1500 one way. Nutso! That's how much prices have changed in a few months.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Crazy expensive. I think I'd be looking to rent or borrow a pickup or trailer. Looking at map I guess it can't be more than 300 or 400 miles. Maybe less. Still a long haul. I hope it goes well for you.

The closest dealer to me is under 5 miles away.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Listening to you vid again, really sounds like no fuel, you say initial pump priming, that puts some pressure in the lines.
But then it's dying after this initial fuel is used.
Sounds just like what happens when you use a starting fluid sprayed into inlets. initial fire then nothing.
Not 100% savy on your model, but I would check either fuel pump relay or injector relays. (if there?)
A faulty one would fire it up just for a second then die.

Not really something I would expect on a new bike, but.....some older models, you can swap relays around, maybe search
if it's possible on your bike. others here might know, You don't want to give the dealer an excuse not to honour the warranty.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Listening to you vid again, really sounds like no fuel, you say initial pump priming, that puts some pressure in the lines.
But then it's dying after this initial fuel is used.
Sounds just like what happens when you use a starting fluid sprayed into inlets. initial fire then nothing.
Not 100% savy on your model, but I would check either fuel pump relay or injector relays. (if there?)
A faulty one would fire it up just for a second then die.

Not really something I would expect on a new bike, but.....some older models, you can swap relays around, maybe search
if it's possible on your bike. others here might know, You don't want to give the dealer an excuse not to honour the warranty.
Those are good ideas. But also yes exactly. I feel like I should let the warranty work itself out and not muck about too much...though from past experience I'm totally expecting Ducati to try to say it isn't a warranty issue and I'll be paying for something. Fortunately I have a $200 customer appreciation credit from the previous debacle, so that will go towards this I guess, instead of the carbon hugger I was considering :LOL::rolleyes::cry:

·
Registered
352 Posts
I'm totally expecting Ducati to try to say it isn't a warranty issue and I'll be paying for something.
The bike does not run, you can't use it as intended and you paid a lot of money to be able to ride it.
If that's not a valid warranty claim, then what is??

Well, unless you put diesel in it instead of petrol.....just kidding.;)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
The bike does not run, you can't use it as intended and you paid a lot of money to be able to ride it.
If that's not a valid warranty claim, then what is??

Well, unless you put diesel in it instead of petrol.....just kidding.;)
Normally I would agree, but my very fresh experience with my first Ducati dealer, MotoJulia in New Orleans where I purchased the bike, taught me that isn't the intention. They don't just GIVE you the warranty and honor it, like you might expect if you bought an $8000 Hyundai or something. This isn't a Hyundai it's a Ducati. You have to work for that warranty! They make you earn it.

I bought the bike brand new, had 3 miles on it. Rear brake was defective and failed by 20 miles. MotoJulia initially tried to get me to pay for labor and parts costs for the replacements, like that was normal. On a bike with 20 miles. It took weeks of arguing and stress to get that situation fixed. I have a detailed diary I kept to track the saga. I'll post it up some time soon.

So now I can no longer trust my home dealer (many other things happened like attempted fraud..suffice to say I'm never going back there). So I have to go to a new dealer, out of state.

At this point this means that one dealer has worked on the bike, and now another dealer is going to work on the bike.

How much do you want to bet dealer #2 says "You know, this problem looks like it was caused by the previous dealer's work. So that makes this no longer a warranty issue. May I see in the inside of your wallet, please?"

And then a logical, sane person might retort, "Well, that's still a problem that Ducati caused so they are still responsible." My guess is the response to that level of common sense will look like this...

:whistle::unsure::sneaky::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Or they could simply say that what failed was a "wear item". Doesn't matter how long it had to wear down. If it's a "wear item" then they can make whatever call they want.

Normally one might call that a pessimistic perspective. But given what I've been through since just April I would call it optimistic because I'm NOT YET assuming they are going to try to trick me into signing forms that absolve Ducati of future lemon law liability or try to extort and blackmail me by holding my bike hostage to get me to sign forms and pay money I don't owe, among other things.

Just sayin...I feel like I'm still keeping my chin up a little bit. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:o_O

Who knows, maybe this second dealer will surprise me. It's becoming a challenge to even find out because I've been working with Ducati Roadside to arrange transport for my bike for THREE DAYS and still nothing is scheduled. Good thing I didn't call them from the ACTUAL ROADSIDE.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Normally I would agree, but my very fresh experience with my first Ducati dealer, MotoJulia in New Orleans where I purchased the bike, taught me that isn't the intention. They don't just GIVE you the warranty and honor it, like you might expect if you bought an $8000 Hyundai or something. This isn't a Hyundai it's a Ducati. You have to work for that warranty! They make you earn it.

I bought the bike brand new, had 3 miles on it. Rear brake was defective and failed by 20 miles. MotoJulia initially tried to get me to pay for labor and parts costs for the replacements, like that was normal. On a bike with 20 miles. It took weeks of arguing and stress to get that situation fixed. I have a detailed diary I kept to track the saga. I'll post it up some time soon.

So now I can no longer trust my home dealer (many other things happened like attempted fraud..suffice to say I'm never going back there). So I have to go to a new dealer, out of state.

At this point this means that one dealer has worked on the bike, and now another dealer is going to work on the bike.

How much do you want to bet dealer #2 says "You know, this problem looks like it was caused by the previous dealer's work. So that makes this no longer a warranty issue. May I see in the inside of your wallet, please?"

And then a logical, sane person might retort, "Well, that's still a problem that Ducati caused so they are still responsible." My guess is the response to that level of common sense will look like this...

:whistle::unsure::sneaky::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Or they could simply say that what failed was a "wear item". Doesn't matter how long it had to wear down. If it's a "wear item" then they can make whatever call they want.

Normally one might call that a pessimistic perspective. But given what I've been through since just April I would call it optimistic because I'm NOT YET assuming they are going to try to trick me into signing forms that absolve Ducati of future lemon law liability or try to extort and blackmail me by holding my bike hostage to get me to sign forms and pay money I don't owe, among other things.

Just sayin...I feel like I'm still keeping my chin up a little bit. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:o_O

Who knows, maybe this second dealer will surprise me. It's becoming a challenge to even find out because I've been working with Ducati Roadside to arrange transport for my bike for THREE DAYS and still nothing is scheduled. Good thing I didn't call them from the ACTUAL ROADSIDE.
Why don't you call Ducati USA and explain the whole situation,.... they might come up with a good solution ?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Why don't you call Ducati USA and explain the whole situation,.... they might come up with a good solution ?
I have. I worked with a contact in Ducati USA Customer Service regarding what happened at MotoJulia. They gave me a $200 customer appreciation PDF to print and bring into a service center (can't be used online). That was to make up for the costs I had to front to get my bike back from them. So while it was nice, it wasn't like they were giving me anything other than to make me whole from my losses.

I was also able to retroactively get my shuttle transport fee reimbursed from that first event through Ducati Roadside. MotoJulia sold me the bike, it included keys and the manual. And that's it. So I knew nothing about the roadside assistance program and had to deal with it retroactively once Ducati customer service told me about it. MotoJulia was happy to keep charging me with me not knowing about that benefit. I'm assuming they were double dipping by getting me to pay them then getting reimbursed from Ducati as well but I can't prove that.

I was going to use that credit from Ducati to buy accessories but now it might be to pay for any costs from this event. Although I'm reading the small print now and it looks like it's only for accessories, not repairs so maybe not.

·
Registered
352 Posts
some one here came over and has a 1200, his suggestion was, when key on, what does the temp reading on dash say?
how does that compare with the actual temp.
he had a situation where it was reading 47 deg on dash and only 5 deg outside in winter. similar effect, bike fires for a second then stops.
he unplugged the temp sensor, giving a reading on dash of 'low' and it started.
something simple to check any way.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
some one here came over and has a 1200, his suggestion was, when key on, what does the temp reading on dash say?
how does that compare with the actual temp.
he had a situation where it was reading 47 deg on dash and only 5 deg outside in winter. similar effect, bike fires for a second then stops.
he unplugged the temp sensor, giving a reading on dash of 'low' and it started.
something simple to check any way.
I checked, and my temp gauge (assuming you mean the ambient/intake temp) just shows whatever temp it is in my garage. Seems to be behaving normally.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I tried to start it again today, same result. But it did run for couple seconds longer than usual.

I had been reporting that the rear cylinder seems to get warmer than the front during these startup attempts.

Well since it ran a few seconds longer today I hand-checked the exhaust pipe temps at the port again. Front pipe just feels barely warm. The rear pipe gets too hot to touch. This occurs within 2-3 seconds of rough idling before it stalls.

I figure it either has to be abnormal that the rear pipe is getting hot so quickly, or abnormal that the front pipe isn't warming up as fast. Or is that reaching?

Not even sure what that answer gets me. I just hate not being able to figure out what the heck is even wrong. I wish it would throw a code at least.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Mine will idle just fine on one cylinder...can't ride it...but it idles fine...still feel your looking at a failed sensor of some sort...or a faulty signal from it...thought goes back to the map sensor...when mine was bad it wouldn't start a second time hot or cold.... disconnected it and it started and ran fine....had a loose wire in the harness...not saying that's the issue....but it sounds it....if your up for it...removing the left side guard and removing the coils too....will give you access to the clip for the map sensor...unhook it and see if it starts....

·
Registered
10 Posts
I tried to start it again today, same result. But it did run for couple seconds longer than usual.

I had been reporting that the rear cylinder seems to get warmer than the front during these startup attempts.

Well since it ran a few seconds longer today I hand-checked the exhaust pipe temps at the port again. Front pipe just feels barely warm. The rear pipe gets too hot to touch. This occurs within 2-3 seconds of rough idling before it stalls.

I figure it either has to be abnormal that the rear pipe is getting hot so quickly, or abnormal that the front pipe isn't warming up as fast. Or is that reaching?

Not even sure what that answer gets me. I just hate not being able to figure out what the heck is even wrong. I wish it would throw a code at least.
Your issue is likely a faulty sensor and should be covered under warranty. Hope Ducati helps out somewhere with the transport to some extent.
If the bike is under warranty, best not to try to take things apart too much... avoid unwanted excuses later at the service center.
Document with a video where possible. Your vids are pretty clear but also perhaps show that the bike still cuts out if you use the throttle.

I've had issues with my 821 (2018 model) with 2 warranty fixes - fuel pump/gauge assembly and the whole wiring harness. Each time, there were attempts to not deal with those issues directly but with other solutions instead.
Key thing was to document everything and share it with the service center and "when" there is no satisfactory response, Ducati Customer care. Not the dealer customer care.
I used this link after selecting my region.
You could add the video links there as well for documentation. 🤞 for a speedy resolution

·
Registered
15 Posts
Sorry if already mentioned.... has dodgy/bad fuel been brought up? My M1200S would run ok but continually stall when stopping on 'good' 98 Ron fuel. We must use good 95 Ron fuel.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Just an update, I was finally able to get a transport scheduled. The problem was that I was following procedure and trying to let Ducati Roadside handle it. Well, they spent a week doing...something... and then called me to tell me to handle it myself and they will reimburse me because they can't get in touch with the shipper we wanted to use.

I must be magical though because I was able to reach the shipper and get everything scheduled within 5 minutes of ending the call with Ducati Roadside. Will be $630 to move the bike one-way and Ducati will cover $200 of it. Next cheapest estimate was over $1000 one way.

Then I took some advice from this thread and followed up with Ducati Customer Service again. I had been in contact with them regarding the issues with the first dealership but wanted to bring them up to date on these recent events. I didn't ask for anything except for guidance on what we can do to improve my experience as a new owner who has gone through one major warranty repair at 20 miles, facing a second possibly-major repair at 120 miles, and now a recall, and all of this now has to be handled by an out-of-state dealer.

This was the reply from Ducati Customer service:

"Thank you for your continued patience. At this time our team is not in a position to honor your request. We will assist in getting the vehicle into your closest dealership, anything further must be arranged on your own terms or with roadside assistance.

If you wish to continue service at Moto Julia please let us know so we can inform the dealership of the return of the vehicle."

So basically, FO.

Note that "getting the vehicle into your closest dealership" means two things: using Moto Julia, the dealership I can no longer trust, and it means they are basically only willing to honor the roadside agreement I already had in place when I bought the bike.

Right now it is looking like my plan will be to get the bike shipped, get it fixed, get it home, and then seriously consider selling it because I don't think I want to continue doing business with Ducati if this is how it goes. I mean, I may as well have saved my money and bought a used Monster that I could work on myself without risking a warranty if I knew it was going to be like this.

Oh...icing...have you all been receiving your recall letters about the rear brake line on newer bikes? Pretty much that is the issue I had on delivery when the first dealership tried to make me pay for rear brake work on a bike with 20 miles on the clock. Since the letter states that dealers are waiting on the necessary parts to complete the repair this likely means that the parts used to repair my defective-on-delivery rear brake are not in spec with the parts for this recall. So my bike will have to sit at the dealer even longer if they don't have the parts yet.

I hate to be sour but in 3 months I went from planning to fill my garage with a few flavors of Ducati to possibly never doing business with them again. It's a horrible shame because I still love my Monster, I love the way Ducatis look and sound and feel. This was exactly the bike I wanted in terms of power, feel, comfort, and purpose. But Ducati's business and the way they treat owners is, in my experience, total ****.

I hope you all always have much better luck and experience with Ducati than me! I'll follow up once the bike reaches the dealer and we can figure out what is wrong. Hopefully it is just something stupid.

·
Registered
M1100S - H1100S - XT250
213 Posts
If I were in your shoes I would just sell it. Your honey moon didn't even last 20 miles what's the point?
Find a good local independent mechanic and ask him what bikes he likes working on.
Or get an older Duc' that you can work on yourself (2v) and where issues are well documented.

I would never buy a new Ducati because since ~2018 they stopped providing/selling service manual.
Maintenance is the forgotten area of all bike reviews. For instance there are plenty of Ducati V4 vs Aprilia V4 tests but none of them mention that to do the valve clearance on a V4 you need to take the front end and frame off to remove horizontal head cover! The Ducati maintenance schedule quotes 10h and most shops will tell you that it's not possible to carry out the job in that time. On the Aprilia you can adjust the valve with the engine in the frame.

·
Registered
10 Posts
@Smoky I'd say that the bike is on probation whatever the dealer does. Hopefully, it's just a faulty sensor that will fix the issue once and for all.
Any niggles, best to plan trade-in/exchange with another brand that has support from a local garage - diagnostics and parts availability.

Regarding recalls, my experience was a bit odd and did put me off with the communication that took place between Ducati and my dealer.

On this site, punch in your VIN to see if there are any recalls pending. I stumbled upon this site reading a few chats in my DOC group and found a recall for the gear shifter which was announced more than 4 months back. Somehow the service team had not received the update from Ducati and were surprised that a customer had to inform them instead of the other way around.
Later, others received their recalls to bring the Monster 821s in for a check.
Don't wait for a recall notice. If you see one for your bikes, send the screenshots to the service centers and book the slot for the checkup.

If there is no recall or has already been addressed, will show up something similar to this

21 - 40 of 43 Posts