Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well my bike is not running again. It has less than 200 miles on it and I feel like I'm about to have my second huge service issue.

Everything has been great since getting the bike back from replacing the rear brake system which was defective on delivery.

When I rode last weekend everything was smooth as butter. On the way home my low fuel light came on, but I was about 1 minute from the house so I figured that's how I would start my next ride, with a trip to the fuel station.

I went to begin that ride this morning and the bike won't start. I get a rough idle for a few seconds then it stalls. I try this a few times, then hit the internet, and see a few suggestions that maybe these bikes don't like to be low on fuel. I figure maybe the gauge isn't all that accurate and it has less than it says. I still hear fuel sloshing in the tank. But either way I go buy some fuel and fill up the tank (almost completely full according to the dash gauge).

Still no dice. And sometimes when it stalls it makes a very loud "clack" sound.

Here's a couple videos.

Video 1

Video 2

You can't hear it in the video because my garage fan is running but it does prime the pump and do the normal startup routine.

There are no codes or error lights.

Bike is in neutral.

Has fuel.

Has oil.

Cold start.

Less than 200 miles on a 2021.

Any thoughts of something I could check myself before I have it towed to the out of state service center?

Thanks!

·
Registered
627 Posts
Something has failed/faulted....it's too new to have developed an "issue"... warranty will sort you out, just inconvenient...please share what the problem was after the dealer visit...dealing with similar instance but only once hot...have a long list of things it isn't...lol

·
Registered
2012 Monster 1100 EVO -- 1991 Honda Nighthawk 750 -- 2011 Monster 796 (wife's)
27 Posts
Looks like a beautiful bike- sorry to hear of the issues. And likely a long tow.

Is the "clack" present in the 2nd video? My 1100 EVO makes a similar noise when it stalls to what I hear in the video. Sort of a clack with something spinning after. I have always wondered what that is. The starter re-engaging somehow?

Good luck and please do let us know what you learn.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Far better mechanics than me will be able to work through a sensible diagnostic tree, but it seems that you have a lot of the initial factors executing just fine (e.g., battery, starter motor, ignition). Thinking through the causes of the interruption - I have a random thought: there's a mechanism that kills the motor when the kickstand drops unless the bike is in neutral. I can see that you're not in gear - but perhaps there is a fault in that system? Try a start with the kickstand up. Wouldn't hurt.

Beyond that, your engine needs four things to run: air, fuel, compression, and spark. If you're a comfortable mechanic, maybe check the spark plugs next.
Beyond that, I'd call the dealer :)

Good luck.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Made another video without the fan running in the background.

Video 3

I've checked the plug boots and they are nicely locked on. I guess I'll remove those two plugs and inspect them. Though if the plugs fouled after 120 miles they would have had to have been defective but I have experienced zero engine related/running issues. The motor has been smooth as butter. Always fired right up to an instant solid idle until this issue started out of nowhere.

I've felt under the rear of the tank and don't feel fuel leaking or anything like that. Everything seems connected and what I can reach with my fingers, nothing seems pinched. But that doesn't mean anything.

When I try to fire it up and it idles roughly for a couple of seconds before stalling, the rear cylinder exhaust port gets very hot in that short time. The front port just gets kinda warm. No idea if that is normal or not.

I really don't want to remove the tank and start with all that fuss on a new bike only to figure out that's not the issue. I also don't want to pay $500 to have it transported to the dealer to find out it is something stupid.

It's like, I don't mind working on my vehicles at all. I love it. But I did buy a brand new high-end bike so I wouldn't have much to worry about for a long time. Joke's on me! lol

·
Registered
627 Posts
You've got a bad sensor...or a garbage signal...loose ground or faulty part...if I had to guess it's either the throttle or the servo on the throttle body....those are the two systems I've yet to delve into...

Your bike starts...gets a bad signal or a good signal and interprets it as a bad one....throws off the mix and dies....if each following restart follows the same scenario?...or is an immediate restart not possible?... I'd be highly inclined to think my previous hypothesis was inline with the issue....or your map sensors bad...if your in that deep try unplugging it...

In any event; you ought not need be bothered with the troubleshooting...at least not yet...but if your of the curious type...remove the guards on the left side...try and wiggle the map sensor... literally poke the clip with a stick....you won't be able to see a loose connection...not without pulling the tank...it's probably not the issue...but if it is...

·
Registered
93 Posts
i see you have a sc project, did you install a map? just trying to see if any changes/mods could be the culprit?

·
Registered
627 Posts
Another thing...don't worry about the tow..... Ducati roadside will cover it

Not before they tell you it can only brake down once a month....lol

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Another thing...don't worry about the tow..... Ducati roadside will cover it

Not before they tell you it can only brake down once a month....lol
It's like I've already hit my quota in that case.

Also, they only cover tow for warranty issues. I can imagine 100 different ways that whatever this is gets explained away as being not covered. Just like the dealer that sold me a faulty bike then tried to charge me to repair it. I'm also a little concerned about not being able to choose my own transport company. I'll have to talk to mts-towing about this (they are the vendor Ducati uses for the tow benefit, in my area at least).

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i see you have a sc project, did you install a map? just trying to see if any changes/mods could be the culprit?
No map. ECU is stock. This model of the slip on doesn't require a remap. And I've been running with it for 100 miles so I guess an incompatibility would have surfaced before now.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Only 100 miles, it's got to be under warranty.
Unless you are out of gas or something equally Doh!

$500 to transport it is steep.
Good luck with fix.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Only 100 miles, it's got to be under warranty.
Unless you are out of gas or something equally Doh!

$500 to transport it is steep.
Good luck with fix.
Thanks. Ya the first dealer, where I bought the bike and who I cannot trust to use because of their ethical issues, tried to charge me for repairing the rear brake system when the bike had only 20 miles on it. So I'll have to ask for forgiveness for being jumpy and mildly pessimistic about the outcome being labeled an out-of-warranty repair. We'll find out. Scheduling the transport now. Just waiting to hear back from the new dealer on what they might offer me on a trade after it is fixed.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ah damn. I'd hope you would give it a chance when it is fixed.
Great bikes! I shite you not. ;)
We'll see. Right now I'm 120 miles in since April and it's been in the shop already for a month and a half of that time, and I'm about to engage in what might the second major repair that will likely take another couple months to sort through.

I do love the bike. When it is working it is an incredible machine and exactly what I was hoping for since I first decided I wanted a Monster years ago. And I recognize that my situation is unique...I know this because of how difficult it is to find troubleshooting information on newer Ducati bikes because no one seems to be complaining of reliability issues like mine. When a search finds something it is usually on a 20 year old bike with xx,xxx miles.

But my confidence is a bit shattered after all of this experience and my patience is running out. Even Ducati Financial is taking almost two months to get my title to me.

It might all be a little easier to cope with if the first dealer hadn't completely tried to run a train of fraud on me. It honestly makes me feel ill knowing they have so much of my personal information.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Afraid you might be taking one for the team on this one...I know the frustration...and there's nothing that can be done about it...just report the findings for the next guy....took me 18k miles to find my throttle issue....and going on 3 years looking for the hot start issue...your in good company... lol

·
Registered
18 Posts
Oh man - I'm sorry to hear that's under consideration.

For what it's worth, I'm on my 2nd big Monster - today a 1200 S, following an 1100 Evo, and the quality has been great. I had one issue with the Evo, in which it was running hot - borderline overheating. The dealer (Pro Italia) fixed it under warranty in a few days. Ducati replaced the entire top-end, and I didn't have to argue one bit, or pay a dime. Otherwise, I rode thousands of problem-free miles on that bike. So far, the 1200 has been flawless for me.

Whatever happens, I do hope the dealer does the right thing and provides you with white-glove support - agreed up-front so that you're not left to be consumed by stress. And if they don't, please let us know which dealer it is. And share your story on social media and review sites. Those things should be used sparingly, because they do have an impact.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts