Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just took ownership of a (new) 2002 Monster 750. This is my first motorcycle and I selected it based largely on what I read about Monsters on this board (both the good and the not so good). I'm very pleased with the purchase and appreciate the good information that you all have provided.

I'm in the midst of completing the MSF course (driving test this Sunday) and have taken my Monster out for a few practice runs in the neighborhood (suburban side streets through hilly developments). After a few of these (hour-long) rides, which consisted of a fair amount of shifting and cornering (but no hard accelerating - got to keep those rpm's within reason) I return home. If I take a short break and then try to ride again I find it very difficult to ease into first gear and frequently stall. Is this typical for a brand new cycle and brand new rider? Any tips on how to get going more smoothly? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
welcome and congrats on your purchase. the basic answer is practice, practice, practice. the friction zone is narrow and the bike is geared high. more throttle will help, as will a sprocket change in your future. now go ace that test Sunday!

·
Registered
668 Posts
It is normal.
Be hard on that clutch.
More rpms and play around, You will the spot someday.

Sprocket change and parking lot practise makes future at Starbucks less humiliating .... ;D ;D ;D

·
Registered
668 Posts
I have not yet seen one.

Then again I avoid big cities.

Little town and villages have small bars, where the caff

·
Premium Member
862 Posts
Welcome aboard WaterKing.

Dont' be afraid to use lots of clutch and give it some revs. My first impression with my Monster was that the friction zone was narrow and toward the end of the clutch play (released position), also that the clutch itself was 'stiff'.

You'll get used to it, after a few weeks you'll no longer 'think' about it, it'll be second-nature.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks to all for the encouragement. I'll be back on the road this evening (after five mocha latte's)

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Congrads Waterking,

I have the same bike in the Dark version. It is my first bike also. I love it!!! ;D ;D ;D.

Get the rpm's up a little. You will get used to the late release of the clutch.

Get the bars mirrors also. They make it much easier to see. I got them today. 8)

Tom.

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
Congratulations! What a great first bike! When I bought my Ducati in 2002 I stalled a lot, sometimes in the middle of intersections. I chauked it up to not being on a bike for 25 years and Italian finickyness.

Bottom line, it was the bike. It wasn't set up correctly from the factory and the dealer could not make minor adjustments to cure its lack of low end take off torque. The 6K tune took care of that big time.

Congrats on the course. Do what they say and practice on parking lots for the braking , turning and avoidance. It works!

Have a great summer!

Rideon

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Wow, they actually have cafe's, not Starbucks? Didn't know those really existed.... ;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey, since I am not in Italy, I love my Starbucks. ;D.

Maybe a future trip will involve Italy and a ride with my new Ducati from the factory, through the Alps, nice hotels, and finally to the dock where they ship it to the closest Ducati dealership to my home.

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
Congrats. I hope to join the club in August.

mitt

No starbucks around here yet, but I hear there is one in Paris. I don't think the French would like the typical 30 ounce American caffine drink. They are the caf

1 - 17 of 17 Posts