Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a pre-owned 2005 Ducati Monster 620 (Red) with 3,500 miles on it. The bike is supposedly BONE STOCK, but the dealer photos and the photos my parents sent me when they recieved the bike show it with Goldlines instead of the regular black calipers I see on every other '05 620. My question is: did some 05 Monster 620's come with Goldlines, or did I get damned lucky? Can someone tell me more about this system, ie. piston count, no. of pads, etc. (BTW sorry for the blurry pics, my little bro took them.)

Fronts

Rears.

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
The 05's came in different trim. I bet that one has a steel tank also.
The caliper are the 4 piston/2 pin brembos. They have one pad on either side of the rotor. If it is a single disc you can improve it dramatically with upgraded pads.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Those calipers are the standard Goldlines.
Front ones are 4-piston, 2-pad.
Rear is a 2-piston, 2-pad.

The PO most likely put them on, but *maybe* some of the very early '05's had 'em.

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
Seems 05 was the transition year. The early ones got the Goldline Brakes [thumbsup] the later ones got well the other ones. :(

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is a Dual-Disc front. Any easy upgrades available?
Is there any advantage to a steel tank?

Thanks for your help, man.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
As far as upgrades, IMO it's pretty well done already. [thumbsup]
You can swap to some different pads, but I recommend trying it the way it is first.

Steel tank holds more fuel than the plastic, and magnetic tank bags will stick to 'em.
Plastic tanks are pretty ding-resistant.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all!!!

Needless to say this a helluva Christmas discovery. [thumbsup] [clap] [laugh]

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
Pip said:
It is a Dual-Disc front. Any easy upgrades available?
Is there any advantage to a steel tank?

Thanks for your help, man.
Pads are the easiest and cheapest. Different folks will recommend different brands. An HH rated pad will improve the braking. Proper bleed adjustment will make the lever firmer.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What are my options for rotors? These are the 320mm's, correct?

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
Pip said:
What are my options for rotors? These are the 320mm's, correct?
Yes they are. There are numerous cast iron free floating rotors available. I don't think they'd be required. The brakes on my 900 are stock components except for pads and they are more than adequate for the street, and adequate for my ability on the track.

I have modified the rotors to be full floating, and the bleed was adjusted to give a firmer lever. I had BCM adjust the bleed. If done incorrectly it can cause brake lock up.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok... new question... seeing as I have the Goldlines, what is stopping me from getting the cylindrical fliud reserviors, and getting rid of the coffins?

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
Pip said:
Ok... new question... seeing as I have the Goldlines, what is stopping me from getting the cylindrical fliud reserviors, and getting rid of the coffins?
Nothing.

·
Premium Member
1,941 Posts
That is nothing except that once you put cylindrical fluid reservoirs on you also need to change the clutch master & front brake master cylinders. It's either all or nothing. There is no running the plastic reservoirs with the coffin style masters. You knew that, right? (Not you DucPainter -- I know you know that)

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Mac900 said:
That is nothing except that once you put cylindrical fluid reservoirs on you also need to change the clutch master & front brake master cylinders. It's either all or nothing. There is no running the plastic reservoirs with the coffin style masters. You knew that, right? (Not you DucPainter -- I know you know that)
Sounds vaguely familiar...will the Front Brake/Clutch masters off of an ST or SBK fit?

·
Banned
7,484 Posts
Pip said:
Sounds vaguely familiar...will the Front Brake/Clutch masters off of an ST or SBK fit?
Yes, they'll fit. The 749/999 masters are kinda coffin-like though (but not the 748/916/996/998). They have a triangular reservoir rather than the pee-cups. Unless you get some pee-cup type master cylinders for cheap on eBay or sumptin', if you're thinkin' about uprgrading, spend the little bit extra $ and get a brembo radial master. They have really good feel and a ****-ton of braking power.

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
Spidey said:
Yes, they'll fit. The 749/999 masters are kinda coffin-like though (but not the 748/916/996/998). They have a triangular reservoir rather than the pee-cups. Unless you get some pee-cup type master cylinders for cheap on eBay or sumptin', if you're thinkin' about uprgrading, spend the little bit extra $ and get a brembo radial master. They have really good feel and a ****-ton of braking power.
The 749 and 999 ones are Radials, just not like the aftermarket Brembos

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
One can one aquire one of these aftermarket dealies? ???

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Motowheels stocks all the parts you'd need for this conversion. Either goldline Pee-cups, Radial pee-cups, or Radial 999 triangles. As well as any lines, rotor etc for you to go wild with.

Anonther upgrade option, though more expensive is the 4 pad calipers that are on the 999s. I'm running calipers and the Radial off a 999 on my 900 and the stock style brembo rotors. PLENTY of braking beef for the street.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts