Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
??? Somtimes when I'm rolling slowly down hill into my driveway, the front brake seems to shudder slightly when applied; it is as if the pad isn't quite gripping the rotor tightly or something. Doesn't happen all the time, but wonder if anyone has experienced this or knows what might be happening?

Thanks... scooby ;D

·
Registered
345 Posts
I reported mine doing that to the dealer when they did my last service. It was written on the ticket, but nothing was said. Still doing it. It will come up again at my next service. I was just going to upgrade my rotors until I realized that they were $600 a pair.

S

·
0 Posts
your rotors may be slightly warped which is definately a warranty issue. or your pads may not be bedded in properly. pull the pads from the calipers and give them a light sanding. reinstall...
if you experience it again, chances are your rotors have a slight warp to them. call the dealer and have them replaced.

·
Premium Member
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks strati. Problem is so limited at this point I probably won't deal with it until my 6000 mile looksie...

What do you think of your cf fender on my bike? ;)

scooby ;D

S

·
0 Posts
it's good to see it found a happy home ;)
my "ducati-weave" replacement came in from stuart (spareshack) last week along with a belly pan. now my manic obsessing about matching weave can be satisfied. phew! i'm out of my mind... ha!

·
Premium Member
451 Posts
Same problem here (M750d 2001), usually just before I stop. Took it to the dealer a couple time they said they would look at it but never said anything. Oddly enough it is gone after I pick it up, then back again later. The patern I have noticed is that cleaning the bike (and brakes of course) will usually make it go away until it gets dirty again. Mine is definetly not warped disks. After a while it will get so bad that control is difficult during low speed stops.

·
Registered
125 Posts
my front brakes are squeekin a little, do i need to sandpaper the pads, i hear sometimes that doesn't help and someone came up with adding like a shim or something. what's ya'lls take on that?

M

·
0 Posts
I have the same problem on my M1000. Only seems to be at slow speeds just before you stop, with decent pressure on the brakes. Very light or very hard braking doesn't reveal the problem. I took mine and had my dealer look at it. He checked the rotors where well within normal 'straight' limits. I might try sanding the pads a bit and see if that helps. If it keeps getting worse, they'll replace the pads and rotors, but they need to fall outside the OEM spec before they can be warrantied.

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
It's good to hear that the Multistrada isn't the first Ducati on which people have experienced brake shudder. ;)

I was afraid that might be a fatal design flaw with that bike.

I've never experience anything I would consider a low speed shudder on my bike, but occasionally, if I've been riding hard for 10-20 minutes and I grab too much brake coming into a bumpy turn, I'll bottom my fork or something and the front tire will start bouncing or skipping at a rate of about 5 per second. Letting off of the front brake completely seems to be the only way to stop it. Suffice it to say that you'll rarely find me braking deep into a corner with a chance of that happening.

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
it's heat induced temporary warpage

zina's bike has/had the same problem. as did our mh900e. basically, when you're starting out on a ride and start using your brakes, you can induce a shudder. this is a heat induced temporary warpage. one part of the rotor gets hotter than another (inside/outside, rotationally; doesn't matter) and then it IS warped, even if only until the heat can transfer along the rotor evenly. what i instructed zina to do is try to be smooth and gentle with the brakes the first few times she uses them each time she rides. 22000 miles later and there's no problem. it may also help to switch to an organic based brake pad. it's possible that brembo is fitting overly aggressive sintered pads causing this problem.

now, different story on the mh900e. i couldn't save the rotors. they progressively got worse and worse until they developed a permanent warp, measured at .030" deflection in ony 90 deg of wheel rotation (btw, i was told this is within spec ??? :mad: ). my local dealer said that it was a known problem on the monster but not the mh, so they wouldn't offer to put the warranty $$$ towards brake tech rotors. so i said screw em and got the iron rotors myself.

R

·
0 Posts
Couple questions...is it a hum/buzz or a bigger throb type sensation, where you can feel the braking cycle a little on a little off with the same lever pressure as the wheel rotates?

If it's the first, a light hum/buzz, try scuffing your pads a little as they may be glazed (This could be brought about by your braking habits or just a bad pad choice, by Ducati). If it goes away then you have found your culprit. Now if it comes back it might be as Chris pointed out, your pad compound. You could swap them out or if your on the cheap there is one more trick you can try. Here is the idea...Pull your pads out and file the leading edge of the pad at a slight angle, your beveling the edge of the pad. Not too far, just a little. Then reinstall them. Yamahas sometimes have buzzy brakes and this is one cure I've heard about and tried. It's worked great for me

Now, if it's the later and you feel a major pulse in the brakes, it's time for a warranty fix, or do what a lot of guys do and order up a set of cast iron full-floaters, slap some EBC HH pads in and have fun.

Good luck

R

·
0 Posts
Really? I'll have to give it a shot Chris. I know ya know your Ducs, you've own/ed a lot of them. Haven't seen one of yours up on Palomar in a long time though. You and your honey should take an early morning cruise up there.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts