Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This winter I'll be changing out my brake pads as they're about due. I am currently running Ferodo Platinums front and rear. I don't have any real issues with them - they're smooth and do a decent job stopping my bike. Just checking if anyone can anyone suggest another brand that might be better.

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
I've been using Dunlop Pads (DP), and am happy.

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
I only hear good things about the Platinums, but I haven't tried them. I have EBC HH Sintered pads in the Monster (X3 years) and Galfer Green in the 900ss (for a total of about 70 track miles so far) and in the F 650 for the last 2 years. I like them both.

Pretty soon I'll be running some SBS (Scandinavian Brake Systems) pads in the track bike, but it will be around Feb-Mar before I run them enough to get an opinion.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Platinums front, Sintergrip ST rear. [thumbsup]

·
Registered
520 Posts
I remember reading somewhere that certain brake pads actually wear on your rotor over time. Which ones would those be ? I heard the greens were good, never heard of the platinums before. Which pads would give the best stopping power for a single disc bike ? That's the one thing I never thought to upgrade cause my bike stops pretty good as it is.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
grubbywarrior said:
I remember reading somewhere that certain brake pads actually wear on your rotor over time. Which ones would those be ? I heard the greens were good, never heard of the platinums before. Which pads would give the best stopping power for a single disc bike ? That's the one thing I never thought to upgrade cause my bike stops pretty good as it is.
All pads wear the rotors, just some more than others.

The Platinums are an organic compound, so are easy on the rotors.

The SinterGrip ST is a sintered compound, and is a little harder on the rotors.
BrakeTech does say they are OK for th OEM stainless rotors.

A friend had a KLR650, and he used EBC pads on it.
Ate his rotors real quick... but that's a relatively heavy bike with small brakes.

From using both kinds on my iron rotors, the SinterGrip ST has more bite than the Platinums.
I run the platinums on the front as there's plenty of brake there, I can squeeze hard enough to easily get the job done.
I run the SinterGrip on the back to get the most out af a pretty small brake.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts