Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brake light doesnt activate when I use my front brake. It does work for the rear. Guessing I have to change out that switch up my the lever. Anyone done this? Curious about cost, difficulty, tools needed, etc...
-tony

G

·
it isnt hard. but those little switches are very fra gee lay....must be italian. anyway, be careful. be paitient, and get some superglue.

G

·
that wasnt much info. sorry. just use a little flat blade screwdriver, and carefully pry it out of the lever. ive seen a few of these break at the little tabs that hold it into the lever. im not sure of the cost.

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
might want to check and make sure that the switch is actually bad before throwing it in the trash...

A lot of times it's just an adjustment issue (it's not exactly mounted positively, just press fit in basically)...

Pull the switch off and manually actuate it to see if the switch is indeed bad (may not be a bad idea to clean up the connectors and such too)

in any case, it's not really a 'special' part, it's just a switch and you can go to radio shack (or there's a small small electronics shop I used to go to for my lab stuff, but damn it if I don't remember the name) and grab a switch there...

from the 'alternatives to unavailable or expensive...' sticky in the Tech section:

GrizzlyPeakGuy said:
... 275-016A. SPDT Submini lever switch. EDIT: Or 275-0016 depending on which side of the packet you're looking at. Uh?

You have to pop the casing open to get rid of the metal lever that goes across the switch plunger, but that's a 5 second job. I then soldered on flying leads with spade connectors, and the same on the bike side of the circuit, but that bit is optional for geeks like me. Screwed the whole thing onto the bike, connected the leads, and Bob's your Mother's "special friend".
and another note, if you can't find that specific SPDT switch, just find one that's similar in dimensions and function, like I said, it's a very simple mechanism..

·
Registered
783 Posts
Be careful of the small rod in there which activates the switch. It will fall out if your just take the lever out.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I can hear the switch click when I pull the lever- which makes me think it is ok....
I may just have the mech look at it. I have to take it in for my inspection and for a new front tire anyway... I am always a chicken when it comes to messing with the bike. I'm afraid it will end up worse off then when I started :)

·
Registered
40 Posts
I noticed mine was doing the same thing a while back. Turned out to be nothing more than the connector from the handbrake lever, where it connects to the main harness - on the right side near the headset. All I did was wiggle it around some and it seems to be fixed.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have the same problem. However, mine will start to work after riding for awhile. It looks like the buttom that moves out when you pull the lever seems to stick. I have tried to make sure it is clean and well lub'd. Let me know if I am way off base on this. Any mech's weight in on this? Is this a common problem?

jlu

·
Registered
84 Posts
Tony,
My switch was dead on my bike when I purchased it. It was very easy to replace. You mention that you can hear the switch 'click' which means that at least the swich is engaged. Try checking the connections where the swich goes into the harness. If the connections aren't loose then short the connectors to see if you can get the light to come on. If you can use a short to get the light to come on then the switch is bad. BTW, there is a little plastic 'rod' that is part of the switch. Don't loose the rod.... you need it to get the light to function. I have forgotten if the switch is Normally ON or Normally OFF.

BTW, How do you have enough time to come up with 6000+ posts? I bet when they reset the accounts that you said that you had thousands of posts beforehand. You sandbagger. My bike is very sad waiting in the garage for warmer weather.... Later, Dave!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.