Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installing my new cycle cat rearsets (woo hoo!!!).. so i need to relocate the rear brake cylinder. Are all brake fluids alike?

Also... I'm a first time bleeder. Should I get one of those brake bleeding kits? I'll be installing a new Yoyodyne clutch slave cylinder as well so I'll be bleeding like Jerry Quarry in the ring with Mohammad Ali.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I use DOT 5.1 (not Silicone) it has been working fine. It is the latest formulation has better temperature and water resistance. You can use any DOT3 or DOT4 fluid as well. The only fluid you should not use is DOT5 silicone. I find that a vacuum pump is a great way to start bleeding a dry system. But I always bleed in a conventional manner to get the last bubbles out. Once you have fluid passing through the clutch bleed the technique is a little different. You squeeze the clutch lever then open the nipple drain the fluid then close the nipple. What this does is force the clutch slave cylinder against the springs when you open the bleed nipple the springs force the fluid out. This helps get the bubbles out that get caught between the piston and the cylinder wall.

P

·
0 Posts
Just did this about a week ago.

I used 5.1, according to the shop it is compatible with the OEM fluid (which for all I know is 5.1)

Make sure you keep the reservoir full as you bleed; I had to do it twice.

I love the Cycle Cats, totally different feel and the rear brake is hard to get to sometimes.

Let us know what you think.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys... I'll be doing this on the weekend... clutch slave replacement, too.

I'll let you know.

·
Registered
26 Posts
A newbie question, I guess: Anyone using Ate Super Blue brake fluid? I've been using it in my GTI for a couple of years and the stuff is fantastic. No fade at all on track days.

--Griff

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
dangit! got the new cc rearsets on and the rear master cylinder repositioned, but for the life of me i can't bleed this [email protected]!

what is the technique to get it going? i fill the reservoir, pump the pedal three times, and open the bleed nipple (with the pedal still held down), but nothing much is happening... the fluid isn't draining down.

i noticed that if i start to release the pedal with the nipple still open, there does appear to be some suction there, but i just can't get it started.

i suppose this is where the vacuum pump comes in handy, eh? is there anything i can do without one?

thanks.

ps. i went with dot 4 since the napa i went to didn't have 5.1, only 5.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
Mangus, my memory is poor, but i think your rear caliper is mounted on the bottom of the rotor. if it is, remove it, turn it so the bleeder is on top, place a piece of metal, wood, or plastic about the thickness of the rotor between the pads. then bleed. if the bleeder is on the bottom, the caliper will trap air.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Putting the caliper on top does help be sure to put something between the pads. But when you put on a new brake line and of course it is empty a vacuum bleeder really helps get things started.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i picked up a mity vac and had much better results... the rear brake works now, but it's a little mushy... definately not as grabby as before. does this mean i have an air bubble trapped in there somewhere?

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
however, i can definately hear the pad rubbing the rotor when i spin the wheel with the brake released. it's not enough to slow the wheel down noticeably, but there's definately contact.

is this wrong? is this even adjustable?

·
Premium Member
1,928 Posts
My experience has been that the brake pads will drag on the rotor just slightly after bleeding them (I can hear the brakes rubbing, but I can still spin the wheel). A short ride will make that go away.

The important word here is slightly, if they're dragging to the point that they're fighting against you turning the wheel, don't ride it, find the problem.

HTH,
Fillmore

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It's really just the sound... I can still spin the wheel. I'll take it around the block and see how it goes... thanks.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
After a few days of riding, that rubbing sound is no more. Thanks Fillmore. On to the yoyo clutch slave!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts