Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was surfing around and noticed that the earlier monsters use what is described as a 40mm caliper versus the newer use a 65mm.

1. Is that the difference between the two mounting holes for the fork (I thought all monster forks were the same)??

2. Any idea of what years used which size?

·
Premium Member
6,957 Posts
Re: Brake calipers and Monster models -- 40mm or 6

1. yes, thats the difference.
2. the change from 40 to 65 was in 99 (there are adapters to go from one to the other in either direction, but they are pretty pricey)

S

·
0 Posts

I am doing a fork swap as we speak. I have 2000 monster 900. In 2000 they went from a 40 MM to a 65mm Caliper mount and caliper. The measurement is in reference to this. I am installing a 1998 916 Fully adjustable showa fork in place of the Non adjustable units now in place.
becuase I have the wide newer 65mm calipers, I had to buy an adapter plate from MOTO WHEELS, $189.00 a set,( They make a plate to go either diraction Up or down in size) as well as some shims for the lower triple clamp. becuase I am keeping the handle bars the top tripple clamp is being line bored by Paulimoto to take the Larger 53mm forks slider. the newer 65 mm calipers work a great deal better than the narrow 40 due to les flex, and pad sweep,and BLAH BLHA BLAH

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts

I never heard of any performance difference between 40mm & 65mm calipers. I know Brembo only makes a 65mm (fork) to 40mm caliper adapter because all of their racing calipers are 40mm. Where'd you hear this?

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts

I've been told that the 65mm "two pin" Brembo gold line calipers are more rigid than the previous edition 40mm "single pin" gold line caliper.

Ummm, I'm with you. Can't really say, honestly.

S

·
0 Posts

I am sure no expert on these things..But it stands to reason that spreading the mounts apart would make them stronger, and give less flex. Most folks would be hard pressed to be able to feel a difference. The dual Pin calipers do seem to give some Nice feedback.. The adapters I have are made By Brembo Part #70.2506 adapts 65MM caliper to 40MM fork.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts