Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I just got in from a spin around the greater Naples area after paying a visit to the local Ducati shop. Upon parking my bike on base and dismounting, I noticed that both the brake and clutch fluid caps were a little damp. Mind you it had been raining pretty much all last night, but it was beautiful and dry this morning so now I'm a little concerned. The caps appear to be tight but I'm going to give the screws an extra turn to be sure. Is it indicative or a larger problem, is this common...? The fluid appeared to be thinly located around the rim on the front of the cap as well as the top (likely from the wind blowing it up there).

The bike is overdue for maintenance, that much I know, but I won't be able to get it in until September 1st. The shop is booked up solid 'til then so I'm looking for constructive advice to get me through the next month since my Monster is my only form of transportation.

I'd go back to the dealer or call, but they're closed already. Italians don't work late on Saturdays.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
I had the same thing happen on mine, dampness around the screws. I just removed the caps, cleaned the rubbed inserts and the bottom of the cap and reinstalled them. It didn't go away completely, but a little fluid weeping doesn't actually affect anything, in fact both bikes I've owned have done it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Interesting, thanks for the insight. It still worries me a tad but I'll clean it up and see if that helps.

·
Registered
186 Posts
It is a common problem, Usually the rubber diaphragm under the cap is not sealing as it should. Tighten the screws, but not so tight that you will strip them out trying to get it off.

You can order the new diaphragm from the dealer or there are a ton of places online you can order a new reservoir for about 10-15 bucks. I just took the opportunity to upgrade them.

Remember that Brake fluid is highly corrosive and needs to be cleaned immediately.

You will notice the paint coming off the edge of the caps over time, as the fluid weeps out.

·
Registered
635 Posts
So, I just got in from a spin around the greater Naples area after paying a visit to the local Ducati shop. Upon parking my bike on base and dismounting, I noticed that both the brake and clutch fluid caps were a little damp. Mind you it had been raining pretty much all last night, but it was beautiful and dry this morning so now I'm a little concerned. The caps appear to be tight but I'm going to give the screws an extra turn to be sure. Is it indicative or a larger problem, is this common...? The fluid appeared to be thinly located around the rim on the front of the cap as well as the top (likely from the wind blowing it up there).

The bike is overdue for maintenance, that much I know, but I won't be able to get it in until September 1st. The shop is booked up solid 'til then so I'm looking for constructive advice to get me through the next month since my Monster is my only form of transportation.

I'd go back to the dealer or call, but they're closed already. Italians don't work late on Saturdays.

Thanks!
Have you tried Ducati Miami[Ducati Miami, Miami Gardens, FL (305) 625-2453]? It's a nice ride from Naples to Miami, either route, I-75 or US 41, better known as Tamiami Trail or Calle Ocho depending where you're at. There's also a place in Ft. Lauderdale/Pompano area, Pure-Ducati's the name[Pure Ducati, 1880 S. Federal Hwy. Fort Lauderdale, FL 33316 954-343-6074 ]. Why wait so much for service when a ride to service can be a lot of fun?

Have no association with them since I'm overseas, but, trying to help a fellow Ducatista.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I took my bike into the base auto hobby shop to get a closer look at the problem. Removing the caps and looking at the rubber gaskets didn't yield any answers to my questions, but a new possibility did present itself. It seems as if these little notches on the sides of the caps are letting the weeping fluids seep out. I took some close-ups to show you.

I cleaned up the exterior and tightened the screws but a little more fluid seeped out afterward. They're still quite full of fluid and it seemed to be free of sediment from what little I saw.

I'll be hitting up the dealer tomorrow for their advice, and also to pick up a few add-ons.

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
Pitch the coffins and get some cups (cheap).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts