Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
o.k. does anyone actually wear an old helmet? I have a 23 year old Bell full face(freebe when i bought a new yamaha many moons ago). it basically sat in the garages until this last year. i love the fit, doesn't have a lot of padding around the chin area. but was wondering if it has lost any safety value through the years. what is the oldest you actually wear?

R

·
0 Posts
replace every three years.

At best, I'm making sure my helmet's protection ability does not deteriorate.

At worst, it's a legit-sounding excuse to get a new lid every three years.

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
Mine will be 2 yrs this July. I plan to replace it before it reaches 4 yrs old - maybe sooner.

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
I replace mine every 5 yrs or so (unless damaged)... by 5 yrs, the liner doesn't fit quite right anymore on some models.

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
That 23 yr old Bell would probably shatter into a million pieces, if crashed, along with your brain. I had an old Bell helmet with my first bike, but soon got another one.
My opinion is , it's probably about as good as a skid lid.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I just got mine last summer, mostly to go with the new bike, but also to replace 4 yr old helmet...

S

·
0 Posts
I've read that four years is about max on any helmet -- the material inside the lid can break down over a period of time, making it vulnerable. 23 years seems way too long to go without replacing it. Treat yourself to a new one!

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
there was a thread sometime in the past about using old/damaged helmets as planters. sounds like a good idea for a 23 year old helmet.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I've got a '73 Pacer helmet that looks a lot like the helmet that The Great Gazoo wore in The Flintstones. It rocks (as long as you don't have to wear it) I know that If I threw it to the ground hard enough it would shatter like glass, so nobody wears it, I just threaten to make them wear it if they give me any sh!t ;D

·
Premium Member
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for al the input. Looks like i"ll have to go helmet shopping this weekend. I like the older style full face that has room around the chin area rather than padding directly on the skin. Now what shall i do with the old one? WHAT TOTALLY USELESS AND WANTON MEANS OF DESTRUCTION CAN I USE TO TEST THE HELMET"S STRENTH ? ANY IDEAS? THE LOUDER THE BETTER AS I WANT TO SEND THE OLD GAL TO HELMET HEAVEN PROPERLY.

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
Hmmmm. Destructive testing. I would be torn between seeing if I could split it with one blow from a nine pound hammer. Or find a cantalope or some kind of melon that fits in the helmet well, strap it in somehow, and launch it out the car window at about 75 mph on a deserted road somewhere. If the melon survives, buy the same kind of helmet again ;D

·
Premium Member
6,906 Posts
Thanks for al the input. Looks like i"ll have to go helmet shopping this weekend. I like the older style full face that has room around the chin area rather than padding directly

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
If the inside isn't coming off all over you every time you put it on I'd say go for it.

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
I dunno, seems to me that the plastic shell will degrade as fast or faster than the foam on the inside.

·
Premium Member
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ok been out trying on helmets for hours and so far the new shoei r f1000 seems the best fit . have not found a x-11 to try on . Looking for a good fit and outstanding ventilation to deal with the central valley heat this summer. any suggestions for great ventilating helmets? by the way talked to the local fire guys and they dont know about a practice victim but will keep checking on it.

·
Registered
211 Posts
My experience with old bicycle helmets tells me that 4 years is enough, then toss it. The shell of the helmet serves two functions. The first is to protect the foam underneath and the second is to slide on the pavement in the event of a crash. What sucks is when the outside shell gets brittle, shatters and exposes the foam underneath. This is really bad because the foam tends to want to "grab" the pavement unlike the shell which will slide. (foam is soft) This grabbing can cause some really gnarly neck and head trauma. A new shell will hold it's integrity a lot better than an old one damaged by UV over 4 years.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Make sure you check the MFG date on the chin strap before you buy. Make sure your not buying an "old" helmet that was made in 2000 even though it's "new".

My Arai I just bought shows 11/03 so I still good for while! ;)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts