Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
I spoke to a mechanic who used to change those out like light bulbs on earlier 900 motors. They sheared them unless warmed up very carefully and were also a total b#$tard to get out, sometimes shearing at the crankcase mouth. I think the factory put better studs in after 1997, but I'm not 100% sure so don't throw me on the fire if I'm wrong Chris.

·
Registered
426 Posts
That company makes really first class hardware. Those look like some really strong studs nobody will be breaking those. They don't have the weak points that the stock design or the design of some of the aftermarket Ducati head stud makers have. I know where to get the next set I need.

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Heheh, thanks Alex. Yeah, as with a few other times in my life, talking to those folks was eye opening. I ended up having to send them OEM studs so they could verify some aspect of the thread pitch. I forget the term now (was several months ago) but I think it was the "pitch height" or something. Basically, most Japanese OEM studs do not conform to standard specs when they make head studs; they get all crazy with the shape of the "triangle" part of the threads. Ducati? Nope. Made to book specs for M10x1.50.

I mentioned durability and reliability... my guy started chuckling then explained how they developed this insane heat treating process to allow proper flexibity while retaining strength and preventing permanent stretch. Then he went on about how these studs are literally the same as for GS1000/1100 drag bikes but with 1.5 pitch at both ends (not 1.5 / 1.25). Those GS studs are on 1350+ cc, 15:1 and 16:1 compression ratio, 6 second quarter mile, blown, nitro-methane burning drag bikes making what 300+ hp? 400+? I've known APE was into fast bikes for over 20 years and have seen ~7 second Kawi drag bikes (like in the shop where I hung out as a punk kind). Incredible engineering.

They really wanted me to buy their nuts, too, but thus far, the Ducati market is making due with standard hardware, so I thought I'd save the expense. (for now)

Now, y'all can better understand why I'm beaming about this. :)

:) Chris

1 - 7 of 7 Posts