Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Few questions...

How much oil use is normal? I have aprox 300 miles on the bike so far and the oil level has dropped to just above low on the sight glass.

How rich should the bike run? I seem to have alot of soot on the pipes and its leaving soot on a few spots from the exhaust joints leaking :( Its leaving deposits by the catalytic converter and on the passenger foot peg.

A rider behind me noticed a small puff of smoke if I get on it hard. I figured the rings have not set yet and its burning a little bit of oil. I wanted to find out if this was common and had been experienced by others..

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
A rider behind me noticed a small puff of smoke if I get on it hard.
I take it you are sticking to the owners manual on braking the bike in eh? ;D

Seriously though, i can tell you that on my 620 I did not experience anything like that. This is in no way to insult you, but people do make mistakes espically myself, anyway, was the bike totally level when you checked the oil sight glass? Maybe somebody else can add something actually helpful to this thread.

Oh yeah, welcome to the board.

R

·
0 Posts
Mine seems a bit rich also. I will mention this at the 600 service, but I am not too worried. Better too rich then too lean. The bike runs like a beast....

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
A small change in the bike's angle when viewing the oil window will create greatly exaggerated apaprent movements in the oil level.

To get better consistency, I always check the oil in my garage before I put the bike away, using the following procedure:

- Place a dependably flat and non-slick object, that is about 1" high, under the sidestand to brign the bike to approximately level (but still tilting the tiniest bit to the left, for safety!)

- While continuing to hold the bike's bars to keep pressure on the object (so the bike doesn't fall over to the RIGHT!!), move around to the right side of the bike (where the oil window is)

- Read the oil level (while continuing to hold the bars!!)

- While continuing to hold the bars, move back to the left side of the bike

- Carefully remove the object you propped the side stand on

This procedure gives you CONSISTENT readings of oil level, provided of course that you use the same object each time to prop up the sidestand

My brand new S4 (now 450 miles on it) has used zero oil.

Jim G

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Actually I am sticking to the break in period religiously. Nobody said do not romp on it below 6k ;)

I planed on owning the bike for a year and then ditching the cat for a full exhaust system.. it mars what is otherwise a beautiful bike.

Hopefully I will be ready for my first service next Saturday and I will discuss my concerns with the shop. I just wanted to sound off and find out if I was experiencing anything out of the blue or if it was par for the course.

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
I had the same rich/sooty problem with mine. I have since put the Arrow full system on. No more problem. I think it has more to do with the cat than being rich. I stuck by the break in in the manual also. The greatest reward was getting on it once past break in. Holy Cow!!!!!

·
Registered
423 Posts
mine had that same soot problem. when I brought it in for the 600 mile (about 3 days after I bought it ;D) they said there was a small leak between the cat and the pipes. They fixed it for free - they said it was a ducati problem. I also had the smoke for a little while, but it went away. The bike is crazy fun now. I am still waiting for the right set of pipes to do it justice - mostly cosmetic mods so far.

PS dennis, i can't believe you haven't gone in for the 600 yet! I know it's cold there, but the bike is just too much fun to ride!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts