Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok .. maybe this is just me .. but is anyone else getting tired of these mainstream magazines?

·
Registered
236 Posts
I pretty much gave up on the domestic mags years ago. I get Bike and T.W.O., both of which are British publications. They're well written and they don't pull any punches: If something is crap, they say so...

·
Registered
835 Posts
I read Motorcyclist and Cycle World. And sometimes Rider. The first two are awe struck by the 1000 Gixxer. But why not? It must be one awe inspiring bike. I'm not sure I would even want to ride one.
I don't think they dis Ducati. As a matter of fact I think they are pretty awestruck by ducs too. But when you really compare performance per dollar spent - which is a pretty soulless, I know - the 999 doesn't keep up with the Sazook. Do I want a Gixxer? No, I would take a 999 every day all day long. But that doesn't mean the GSXR isn't one hellova bike.
And if they were taking money from Japan it would be from Honda which has more money than God. (And God has deep pockets!) And they are constantly dissing the 919.
Just my two cents... no offense Morpheus.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Bike simply renders Motor Cyclist redundant, and I've gotten both titles often enough. British mags, in general, are so refreshing after you read American ones that never criticize anything. Bike will say "Complete sh*it" or "useless" or worst of all, "Don't bother."

I guess Bike appeals to me as a Monster rider because their sister title, Performance Bikes, draws off most of the squid content. Bike is, at least by Euro standards, well-balanced. They've even warmed up to a few of the "power cruisers" that are out now.
Rene Carlos

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll definately check out Bike and T.W.O. if I can find them.

[Defense] - Regarding the GSXR1000 - I know its a great bike - I won't argue that. It's just that it seems like for the last 4 months thats almost all they've been talking about. And when I read the articles, it doesn't really seem THAT much better or even different from the previous one. Also - I'm sure the mags aren't taking money from the manufacturers (aside from advertising money anyways). I'm not even sure that's legal .. and if it was, it would certainly ruin the mag if anyone found out.

·
Registered
835 Posts
I know Morph, they have been jawing about the GSXR for over a year. I think it was BOTY last year in Cycle World this year in Motorcyclist... maybe they take turns. :)
I get what you're saying. And really the main stream mags are pretty useless. They mostly only write about all out performance, not mentioning service intervals or other nuts and bolts issues. Or heart and soul. Which in my opinion is what Ducatis are made of.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
I'll tell ya what fried my "ass", the september issue of Motor Cyclist did a "naked bike" comparisson and wouldn't ya know it...NO Monster!!

·
Premium Member
6,906 Posts
I was pretty fried at the "naked" comparo too, until I read the fine print that they were doing it in two parts. Part 1 was inline 4s and the Triumph. Part 2 will be twins.

But yeah, they really don't cover much of anything I'm interested in, and certainly nothing that has to do with real world riding or ownership. (Unless your definition of the real world is running laps at Buttonwillow.)

Motorcycle Consumer News, and sometimes Rider are pretty much the only subscriptions I've kept. I'll have to try Bike and TWO. Oh, there's also MotoEuro, which is gorgeous but costs almost as much as a 6K service to subscribe to.

Honestly, I learn far more from reading what other folks here write, and the price is pretty good too.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Whichever company spends the most money buying advertisement pages in a US rag generally gets the better reviews

They all read like expanded brochures for the ricebikes. The reviews all are like computer generated variants of the same story line, created after someone fills in a bunch of checkboxes and hits the enter key...then the computer spits out the report with the extra words plugged in...soul-less writing about soul-less machinery

Its like paying good money to have a Yamaha etc. salesperson come to your house and gush and slobber over how great his products are

The scope, criteria and focus of the articles almost seem as if they are dictated by the big 4 manufacturers...limited to the data they use to distinguish themselves from each other on the race track....not necessarily what a real-world rider would want to hear

fast food journalism for a fast food culture...hard to find a authentic meal of anything in America these days...in film, in food, in music or in literature.

Crap is still crap irrespective of how many choices of crap that are being offered to choose from

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have been buying Motorcyclist, Cycle World, V-twin, American Iron the past few months and I agree with you on Motorcyclist, Cycle World, and Sport Rider Morpheus. I'd love to have a job like that though, riding bikes and giving your opinion on them. It must be a really tough job. [smiley=smartass.gif] What about some engine buildups like in the various car mags? Technical stuff, you know what I mean? I guess these guys don't like to get dirty. At least some of the Harleyesque type mags get can teach something useful from time to time. I could sum up Motorcyclist, Cycle World, and Sport Rider with one word....boring. Later all, Dan

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
MCN and Rider are the only ones with real content. I also pick up the free local rags (I like Full Throttle) when I go someplace so I know what's happening in the area.

American Rider started off well. Like Rider only all the tech and bike stuff was HD (of interest to me at least). Lately thay have been getting sucked into the whole candy-a$$ fake chopper thing. If you ever want to really laugh, pick up a copy of Hot Rod Bikes to see a magazine that is one big ad. All the "articles" are either "Another chopper built for a rich guy" or "How to install parts advertised in this magazine" They even gave a positive review to the infamous Fitch Fuel Catalist. This rag has absolutely no content.

Several have at least 1 good writer on staff. I like Burns' writing style. Egan is always interesting. Salvadori does great with travel, bike tests, product reviews or historical stuff. Probably the best in the business. Mike Seate is a newer guy (from the UK I think) who does a variety of really interesting articles. His stuff is usually worth the price of a subscription. I think he will be around for a long time. All the tech articles in MCN are informative, teach even an old dog new tricks and are worth saving for reference. LT Snyder does really good, honest, useful Ducati tech articles.

Flip side: The Cali-centric guys at the main mags are a real turnoff. "How it would work at the track" articles are as phony and useless as the fake chopper stuff in the HD rags. Hough pisses me off with those monthly articals that start with "Bob crashes because of somebody else's error but it's his own fault because he didn't plan for the unexpected... However, the fact that he is always right usually keeps me reading. I've enjoyed Rau's stuff since the old Road Rider days, however latley his rants have been a real turnoff. Doing a lot of "everyone who doesn't ride like me is an idiot" articles. He either needs to get out and ride more or add some vitamin P (Prozac) to his diet.

Oh, wait. Nobody actually asked for my opinion. Please disregard all of the above.

Doc

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have stopped reading Motorcyclist and Sport Rider altogehter. Actually a few years ago. I still enjoy Cycle World, mostly for Egan and Cameron. I really like MCN and like Rider too. They seem to be the most down to earth publications in the US.

I wish there was a Hot Rod equivalent for bikes.

·
Registered
68 Posts
All domestic main-stream mags are like this. Car mags, moto mags, dirt mags, whatever. Thats what makes them main-stream. They are out there to make money, and being original is a big risk (im not being facetious).

I cant stand all the mainstream mags, regarless of type. Its like they use a template (not just for the ****in layout) to write the stories and everything. I'm not looking for one of these new super-rad 'Xtreme'' rags to cover all the newest gimmicks and trends. Just some god damn originality, is that so much to ask?

I don't blame the writers or contributers, because they are locked in by contraints the editors and suits put on them, and they are just trying to make a living. But, its still ****. I just try to remember this when im reading the rags, so i can take everything in context.

A discussion started a few months ago between myself and a friend where we talked about this same subject, except mostly as it relates to auto mags and tv shows. We were thinking about just making a tv show ourself and throwing it on public access... we both have friends with tons of different sports car types that we could flog on the street and track.. i have some race experience and can setup the track time.. and he has some production type background. Maybe we could throw in some moto segments too..... :)

EDIT: Forum Admin suggestion, maybe you could change it so fascist 'bad-word' editing is done in another color, so people know what was changed from the original posters text? Since, IMO, it makes it look so stupid, atleast people will know it was software and the rest of the stupidity can fall on the author. :)

-mike
the masses are stupid.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
City Bike and Thunder Press are my consistent rags.... Woman Rider,Cycle World, Cycle News I pay for.... Oh, and Cosmopolitan :D

·
Registered
571 Posts
::)Re: Boring Magazines (Rant warning)

Before I moved to California last year, I always picked up a copy of T.W.O. as well as BIKE.

Sadly, since arriving here, I have yout to find a mag that doesn't just repeat the same GSXR/ZZR/R6/1/etc tests..Nobody tests Dukes...WHY??? ::)

Check out http://www.two.tv/ which is the T.W.O. site, its under construction still, but you can subscribe to the mag from there.

Also, http://www.motorcyclenews.com/home is the weekly motorcycling paper published in the UK, if does focus on racing, but there are plenty of new bike reports, plus links to all sorts of bike related stuff.

Enjoy!

8)

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
Re:

Before I moved to California last year, I always picked up a copy of T.W.O. as well as BIKE.
Yeah, and they are the _serious_ side of the pommy bike press - Performance Bikes and Fast Bikes are both _great_ laughs to read - probably the closest embodiment of true "hooligan spirit" I've ever seen printed on paper...

Where else do you get to read important things like the fact that a Hayabusa on wide open throttle will drain the tank in just under 18 minutes - on a public highway - in France... and then offer to sell you the video of them doing it...

Gotta love them :)

(except for the fact that they continually slag off Ducatis for suffering oil feed problems when doing 10 minute long 20 mile wheelies... _Oh_ the shame...)

big

1 - 20 of 38 Posts