Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which brand boot is a good quality to buy? I'm lookin around for some so I wanted to get some opinions.

·
Premium Member
6,957 Posts
there's lots...you might get more suggestions if you specify what features you might be looking for..
sliders, race-style, more touring oriented, waterproof, price range, etc..

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was thinking touring boots more than anything, maybe racing boots. Waterproof...meh, if it's affordable. Price range....$3-500? Sorry I'm not specific, I'm still new to this whole riding a motorcycle bit so I'm trying to learn as I go. :) Thanks for everyone's patience.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,906 Posts
Like helmets, there's no substitute for trying boots on. Various brands fit differently. I like to check out the newenough.com site b/c they post pretty good descriptions/reviews of the boots they sell.

Oh, and if you're looking for a boot you can wear under dress pants at work, that's also waterproof, and will keep your feet absolutely intact if you crash, let me save you some time. There ain't no such thing! [laugh]

The tradeoff on touring boots is they generally aren't as crash-worthy as full on race boots, but look more 'normal' under jeans, and are likely to be warmer and waterproof. Also look at your footpeg placement. If you have rearsets a race boot will probably be more comfortable as they are already angled forward, where touring boots are more upright. With stock pegs the touring boots should be fine.

I was in the store a few days back and I saw that Sidi is now selling waterproof Vertigos, which I thought was pretty cool. They might make a good sport-touring boot.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Sidi is a well-respected name in motoboots, and they have about fifty different models to choose from. I honestly don't know the difference between, say, their $200 or $400 boots, except for what looks like a sturdier heel box and exoskeleton. They have a secondary brand called Set Up that I like too - same materials, and I think the same factory. See www.motonation.com for their offerings.
I went with a pair of Oxtar - I wanted the added assurance of CE-certified armor. They are just about the only boot maker to get their protectors tested and certified. I got their TCS model which has the exoskeleton to prevent excessive torsional movement in the event of a crash. I think this is an important feature, but it makes the boot less comfortable for off-the-bike use. I keep a pair of shoes at work for the days I ride.
Of course, the major brands have their own line too - Alpinestars, Dainese, Teknic, etc. If I were buying another pair today, I would check out the Dainese Axial and the Teknic race boots. If you want to go high-end, take a look at Daytona. Many of these are hard or impossible to find stateside, but you can get an overview of things to look for and some reviews from RiDE magazine
http://www.ridetriangles.com/pdf/513/199731.pdf

·
Registered
294 Posts
I also have a pair of Oxtar TCS boots. I like them a lot, not so comfy for long periods off of the bike, but then again, that is not what I bought them for either.

You may want to check here:
http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com

They carry Oxtar boots at pretty decent prices....

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the input you guys, and I'm sorry I started ANOTHER thread on this same topic. I read through those other ones that were linked on here, and came up with this question. I know that every brand of boot is going to fit differently and the only way to know is to try them on, but as far as fit goes, how exactly are they supposed to fit? Do you buy them a size smaller than your normal shoe, or the same size, or...? Thanks again for all the input you guys.

·
Registered
3,542 Posts
ducatiflyboy said:
Thanks for all the input you guys, and I'm sorry I started ANOTHER thread on this same topic. I read through those other ones that were linked on here, and came up with this question. I know that every brand of boot is going to fit differently and the only way to know is to try them on, but as far as fit goes, how exactly are they supposed to fit? Do you buy them a size smaller than your normal shoe, or the same size, or...? Thanks again for all the input you guys.
Wear winter weight socks when you try them on. I found some good wool socks at Bass Pro that dont required liners and keep my feet warm. I think the brand is Smart Wool.

YMMV

Oh, I wear Revit Ergo touring boots. 200 bucks, waterproof, windproof, very comfortable off the bike and they look good.

·
Premium Member
314 Posts
What size foot do you have? I will be selling my brand new pair of waterproof touring boots with the BMW logo for $200. They are a size 13 but are too narrow for my Frankenstein feet. I wear a 13 EE wide shoe and these are a hair too narrow for me. They are new but I can't take them back because I went for a 5 mile ride in them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts