Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Yesterday I spent some time cleaning the chain and front/rear sprocket. I figured out I'd better remove the rear mudguard so I can have more space cleaning the chain.

The problem is that one of the 4 allen bolts holding the mudguard to the swingarm doesn't want to come out. I have managed to loosen it, I can turn it with my bare hands for 1 hour and it'd still not come out. It's like the threads are damaged.

Do you have any idea how can I remove it? I'll probably replace it with some SS ones.

Thanks,
utzelu

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
You can try prying it up a little with a screwdriver while turning it. If there are good threads below the swing arm material, they may catch and you will be able to remove it.

If you can take the adjusters off the swing arm and get a magnet in there, you could grind off the head and fish the rest of it out with a magnet. I have never had the chain adjusters off, so I don't know if this is possible.

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
what I am afraid has happened, is that a rivnut has come loose, and is just spinning.

Since the walls of the swingarm are thin, they do not thread them. Instead, they put a "rivnut" in the hole, then expand it. The rivnut then has the internal threads like a nut.

I am not sure what to do, other than try the screw driver prying up trick, but I know, space is tight down there.

If you did grind the head off, you could get the mudgaurd off, and see what you are up against. You would probably need to then drill out the entire rivnut, and replace it with a new one. Some require special tools, but some can be installed, by using a combination of another bolt and nut, then screwing the bolt into the rivnut expands it, causing it to bite into the swingarm.

good luck

mitt

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice guys. I did try prying it up with a thin metal strip and it didn't work. Most probably because the metal strip was to thin and didn't have enough strenght. I'll try it with a screwdriver.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
+1 on what mitt said. just grind the head off, drill out the old stud and install a new threaded insert...if not that obvious, you might just have to put in a new one right next to the old hole.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
MichMonsterS4 said:
+1 on what mitt said. just grind the head off, drill out the old stud and install a new threaded insert...if not that obvious, you might just have to put in a new one right next to the old hole.
Or drill the head off, and leave the hugger off the bike...

big

1 - 7 of 7 Posts