Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!

I am having some problems taking off in first gear. My 2002 M900 only has 200 mi's on it, but I think the bogging and jolting is getting worse. It seems as though first gear doesn't run smoothly without a little clutch at all times. No matter how fast I accelerate its still bumpy. Is this normal?

Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Do you still have stock gearing?
The monsters come geared pretty tall from the factory. Doesn't exactly make for friendly city driving.

Try dropping to a 14 tooth sprocket in the front. It's a relatively inexpensive mod (about $30) and will make quite a significant difference.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You could go down a tooth on the front, or just give it some time to get acustom to the clutch. It is really tall gearing and you have to clutch it alot to go slow.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll echo what the others have said. The tall gearing and the drive line lash on the Monster aren't very "in town, stop and go" friendly. Combined with the heavy clutch lever pull on my 800, smooth take-offs are still occasions for self congratulations. :D

So far these are my only complaints with the bike and they can be addressed with mods...such as the sprocket change out. I'm reluctant to do that, because matching gears to speed and engine braking in the twisties is the most intuitive of any bike I have ridden so far. I'm afraid changing out the sprocket will screw that up. From what I have read, it only reduces your top end speed..the Monster has waaay more of that than I will ever need as I rarely exceed 65-70 MPH....no, really....

it's just that I do that in curves where the posted recommended speeds are 30-40 MPH. I slow down in the straight stretches...the wind scares me. ;D

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you don't wanna get used to the lousy clutch slave and highway gearing, then defenitely change the sprocket (although I would add one in the rear rather then drop one up front, but I could be wrong) and replace the clutch slave with an aftermarket slave most of which use bigger pistons and make the lever feel easy.

Sexy

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
If you don't wanna get used to the lousy clutch slave and highway gearing, then defenitely change the sprocket (although I would add one in the rear rather then drop one up front, but I could be wrong) and replace the clutch slave with an aftermarket slave most of which use bigger pistons and make the lever feel easy.

Sexy
BSexy -- you're wrong. Add TWO in the rear, not one for roughly the same ratio change as dropping one in front.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My 750S did the same thing. While you're still in the breakin period, you've gotta play with the clutch at low speeds. It'll get better as you put on more miles.

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
Just give it more gas, it'll get going. I have no problem starting out in second gear on an M900 or my ST2, and have even started out a few times in third gear on the M900.

You'll eventually get used to it. Let us know what you think after you have 1000 miles on the bike.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Its a lot different then an inline 4. You need to adjust your riding style. Smoothness will come without the sprocket change. But they do help.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Hello everyone!

I am having some problems taking off in first gear. My 2002 M900 only has 200 mi's on it, but I think the bogging and jolting is getting worse. It seems as though first gear doesn't run smoothly without a little clutch at all times.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
sounds like a carburation or fuel injection problem to me. i think you are running too rich.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts