Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you wear body armour when it is hot? I want to get some to have protection but i do not want to bake. Anyone have a brand and style they just love?

·
Registered
392 Posts
I bought a BMW airflow II, it's made for hot weather rideing. When I have it on I'm very comfortable.It's not cheap ( about $400.00 ) But it has all the protection you need, elbows, shoulders and back.

G

·
I wear perforated leather in 90 degree temps. As long as you're moving, it's quite comfortable, but stop and you'll cook. Anyone who hasn't tried perfed leather, should. You might be surprised at how comfortable it really is.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Not all the time, but I

·
Premium Member
739 Posts
I have a Kobe jacket that is perf'd leather in the high impact areas (shoulders, back, elbows) and kevlar mesh on the rest with armor. Was wearing a full mesh, forget which brand, with armor jacket when I highsided a couple of years ago, the mesh melted, armor moved and was left with some nasty road rash on my forearms. Sold me on not getting a full mesh jacket again.

Agree tho' the only way to go is with perf'd full leathers. Looking for a two piece suit now that the temps in SoCal are 100+.....

·
Premium Member
1,200 Posts
That is why some of the mesh have velcro straps to tighten the fit and keep armor from shifting. It has to be fairly tight though and that is not always the most comfortable.

·
Registered
838 Posts
I don't find the armour to be hotter. It keeps the leather off the skin. And with teh venting the air cools the skin. I have a few Vanson vented jackets with armour. The properf is great. But like they said, when your not moving, your baking. The light colors are much better. I have one jacket that is all black. The other is red on the shoulders and back. And black every where eles. It is much cooler in the sun.

·
Registered
236 Posts
DenniS4R:

Last Saturday, I made the trip down to Vansons and took advantage of their spring blowout sale. I picked up a perfrorated version of the Cobra Mark2 jacket as well as a pair of perforated sport rider pants. (Saved $120... ;D)

These are the first leathers that I have owned. Question: How long do they take to break?

Thanks

·
Registered
838 Posts
Everything I ever got from Vanson was custom made. Break in was not and issue. It all fit perfectly and was soft. I never saw a difference from new to old.

G

·
i wear a fully perf'd dainese jacket upto about 75-80 degrees. hotter than that, i switch to a joe rocket phoenix jacket.

·
Premium Member
3,095 Posts
DenniS4R:

Last Saturday, I made the trip down to Vansons and took advantage of their spring blowout sale. I picked up a perfrorated version of the Cobra Mark2 jacket as well as a pair of perforated sport rider pants. (Saved $120... ;D)

These are the first leathers that I have owned. Question: How long do they take to break?

Thanks
I've owned my leathers for a year and 7000 miles. No difference between new and now, except the elbows and knees move SLIGHTLY better and I have the proper "wrinkles" in the right places now. A damp cotton cloth is all I use to get those splattered bugs off. The ones stuck in the perf holes? Well, lets just call those my high-speed souvenirs ;D

G

·
Try leaving the leathers at home and just duct tape the armor to your extremities. It would look sooooo good and your leathers won't smell like sweaty death. ;)

·
Registered
783 Posts
I have a Joe Rocket Santa Fe jacket, perf. leather and cloth mesy with full armor. I also bought a full leather jacket with armor for "winter" in Houston Tx. As far as pants I'm trying out a pair of Icon recon jeans. Kinda neat but a bit baggy, I'll probably get some Joe Rocket leather pants as well. I don't care if it's 110 outside. I won't be caught napping with some thong sandles, shorts and a muscle shirt on the freeway. I had a accident about four months ago low speed low side and that day I was considering leaving my jacket at home. NEVER AGAIN.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hanjin,

I dumped at 30mph as a teen. The elbows were so scraped I could not sleep for a week. I cannot imagine dumping at twoce that speed. I really need som armour but know nothing about it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts