Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 152 Posts

·
Banned
7,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SECRET---DO NOT SHARE THIS PUBLICLY. BUT PLEASE FORWARD A LINK VIA PM!!!!

As many of you know, our beloved bobspapa is getting married to lilysmama sometime soon (date TBD). [clap]

Bobspapa has given many of us a smile when we needed it, an occasional tear and more than an occasional belly laugh. He's always over-the-top generous with his DML peeps and is an integral part of our monster community. But bobspapa recently had to sell his monster because of financial concerns. When DMLers tried to band together to save his monster, he refused. So, as a wedding gift, we're gonna get bobspapa his monster. Whether he likes it or not. SO KEEP THIS SECRET!!! (Can we do that with thousands of members? Let's see.)

Yup, we're gonna buy bobspapa a monster for a wedding present. [thumbsup]

THE SCOOP: There's a really short time frame, so we need to collect as much $ as we can in the next 10 days. :-\ Bobspapa has given you lots of laughs and even more insight. It's time to give back. A bike is not cheap. Once we figure out how much $ we have, Speeddog and Duck-Stew/Flightcycles are going to work on finding a bike or putting one together and coordinating donated parts and labor. The more $ we end up, the more monster we can get for bobspapa, This is not an official DML thing -- just a buncha friends giving back to someone who has given us all so much.

DONATING: This is where you come in. We're collecting money for a bike as wedding present. Don't be a stingy bastard. :mad: Think about it -- even if you give $100, we'd still need to get 50 people to reach $5k. But we'll work with whatever you'd like to give. If you'd like to donate hard parts as well, post up in the PARTS thread. We'll include a list of donors when he gets the bike, so if you'd like to include both your screen name and/or your real name, go for it. How To Donate.

So here's what we need:

1) Cash. Now. Pony up. ;D If we don't get enough for a bike, we'll give a cash gift as a bike downpayment, but that better not happen. :mad:

2) Keep this a secret. Don't post it or talk about it publicly anywhere on the DML (or any other forum). Don't make us knee-cap you if you let this slip to bobspapa or lilysmama. >:D

3) Forward a link to this forum to all your DML peeps, whether you've met them in real life or not. If we're ever going to get enough money for a bike, we need to pass the hat around to more than just the SoCal and NorCal folk who have met Joel. And keep it a secret. See the knee-capping threat in (2).

4) Donate parts or time. If you've got parts or monster bits to donate, post up in the Parts/Labor thread. That said, cash is best. [thumbsup]

·
Registered
6,149 Posts
i think this is a great idea! BP has given so much to the board (as much as he would hate to admit it).

unfortunately i am a bit strapped for cash (being unemployed will do that to ya); however, as soon as i have a dime to spare - it's going straight to here!

good job guys!

·
Premium Member
5,487 Posts
Just wanted to make sure...I saw someone else mentioned in one of the other threads that it shows up under "recent postings" or something like that.

OK - so put Enzo and me down for $100. We'll take care of paypal'ing shortly. Does anyone know if he looks at BARF? I can maybe round up some interest over there--I'd keep it anonymous, but he's not an idiot. If he sees the timing and the reasons as to why someone is posting up he'll probably put two and two together.

·
Banned
7,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well done on the $100, 'belle. [thumbsup]

Keep it to this forum and the PMs. It's gonna be hard enough keeping this quiet. BTW, for anyone listening -- if you talk to BP, we make you dead. Capiche?

·
Banned
412 Posts
Seeing the parts thread is currently locked, I'll say this here for now:

I see there is a possibility of a seat... I have one from an '02 that i will DEFINITELY donate, with some cash.

If the seat is not needed, I'll give more cash. ;D

Great idea, and the whole secret thing, makes it even more fun. [thumbsup]

Wish I could be there to see him get the bike! :(

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
Sorry millertime...it's late & i'm on cold medicine... I should'nt have locked it. ::)

we'll put you down for the seat...but hold off on shipping for a few days, k?

·
Banned
7,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
KnightofNi II said:
what's the deadline on this? having blown all my money in vegas i have to wait unti the next paycheck to donate (5/18)
We're trying to figure out how much we have in the next 10 days, so that Stu and ducman851 can make decisions about the bike. But donations after that are more than welcome. The bike is still gonna need "stuff" and "stuff" costs $.

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
Well the horizon has changed abit.

I posted this in the parts thread, Stew and I may be looking at a complete bike. It still needs some TLC so the masses can still be involved to make this the perfect gift for Joel. We will let you know what the deal is ASAP.

I really do love this place ;D

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
Hey DP -

maybe you could run a tally and have Spidey update the thread at the top so we can watch how much we've come up with?

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
Spidey said:
We're trying to figure out how much we have in the next 10 days, so that Stu and ducman851 can make decisions about the bike. But donations after that are more than welcome. The bike is still gonna need "stuff" and "stuff" costs $.
ok, money will be sent in about 7 days.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I can do $100 (or something close to it). The actual funds will have be transfered next week, however.
I may also have bits and pieces to donate for the bike.

Will folks please quit getting married this year...I really can't afford any more!

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
Just to let everyone know.... We're heavily leaning toward a complete M750 that we've found. It needs some work, but is a MUCH better starting point than the donated parts route and it will save us precious time too.

It's a carbed 750 that was neglected by it's former owner... that's all the info I have right now... Film at 11...or not.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Since everyone who contributes can't sign a card (or those who can't contribute), should we make a thread for everyone to say "congrats?" Print it out and give it with the bike? I think it'd be kinda cool for him to have a couple page thread printed on nice paper with well wishes from a hundred people.

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
slowpoke13 said:
Since everyone who contributes can't sign a card (or those who can't contribute), should we make a thread for everyone to say "congrats?" Print it out and give it with the bike? I think it'd be kinda cool for him to have a couple page thread printed on nice paper with well wishes from a hundred people.
I was thinking about this last night,
It'd be really rad if everyone could sign the bottom of the tank, but that's not feasible,

Maybe someone could start mailing something around?
Or, we could all mail a note to one location, where someone could paste all of our little notes to the inside of a box of poptarts?

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
slowpoke13 said:
Trust me, EVERYONE who participates, no matter how much will be given proper credit. I dont think that anyones donation size or participation level should dictate the amount of thanx anyone gets.

In the end Im hoping the list is long

:)

·
Registered
124 Posts
On another note, he's putting a deposit on a 1098 next month for Sept/Oct delivery.

ducman851 said:
Trust me, EVERYONE who participates, no matter how much will be given proper credit. I dont think that anyones donation size or participation level should dictate the amount of thanx anyone gets.

In the end Im hoping the list is long

:)
I'm not worried about propper credit. Just that a nice long card will go well with it.

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
slowpoke13 said:
On another note, he's putting a deposit on a 1098 next month for Sept/Oct delivery.

I'm not worried about propper credit. Just that a nice long card will go well with it.
Can someone talk to whatever dealer he is going to put the deposit on,
and ask them if we can make that deposit refundable?

(Or hell, maybe in the next 10 days 200 people will donate and we'll buy him a damn 1098!)

1 - 20 of 152 Posts