Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know why everyone blurs out the license plate of their bike in photos posted on the internet?

I first noticed it on Ebay, and it made me think they didn't want me to be able to look at the plate because it was a fraudulent listing. But I noticed here too a coupple of times.

Who cares if people can see your license plate? They see it on the road all the time, how is the internet different?

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
I would assume being the internet, you eliminate the possibility of someone doing a search on it. They can do it if they see you on the street, but maybe some people feel that since the people are already on a computer, why make it any easier for them. In all honesty, I have no idea. Many members are very proud of their license plates and show them off for all to see here.

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
Most of the DML members are wanted criminals & you can't be too careful.

·
Premium Member
1,200 Posts
Just you, Norm. I am an unwanted criminal.

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
If someone has your license plate number they could look up your name and address. At that point they could know where the bike is located and come steal it. It's not uncommon for criminals to choose a type of car they want to steal and go to the DMV and get names and addresses on those cars.

·
Registered
724 Posts
not only the above. but one could argue that it raises the whole "privacy on the internet" dealie (read: should people who use the internt be anonymous) ...

but thats really a computer ethics topic, not really a monster topic, so i guess i won't go there :p

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
I'm not afraid of people finding out who I am or what license plates I have. Too many people are paranoid.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Yeah, really... "Hi, can you give me a list of everyone in the state who drives a car with a sticker value over $100,000?" Not quite...

·
Premium Member
1,200 Posts
Cuz that is what it looks like when I haul A** on by, a blur.

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
Better safe than sorry.
That's the same excuse I hear for why people won't ride a motorcycle, and I don't buy it.

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
here's a thought...

elaborate scam.

you grab someones license plate, use that to find the vin number, and adress of the bike. Post if on cycle-trader, and sell someone elses bike.

When the buyer runs the vin number, it'll come up with all the right info for that bike (also if they get a loan for the bike, the bank will check this information).

·
Registered
193 Posts
I just keep full coverage on the bike. Heck, I don't even care if someone steals it. Then I'd be able to get a new one ;D

G

·
sorry, the reason i blur out my plate is that i am in the witness relocation program and can't have anyone recognize me.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts