Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So recently sold the bike to a friend and it rode fine for a bit. Had issues starting it, so I took a look at the easy stuff first. Found the main fuse (30A) blown during my inspection. The second we slipped another one in, it blows. Key in the off position, bike off.

A bit stumped on where to start looking. Can anyone lead me in he right direction? Has anyone ever experienced this before?

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
did it start doing it after he installed the battery? make sure he didn't install it backwards, with the + on - and vice versa.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I looked and it wasn't installed backwards. And it wasn't doing it before I sold him the bike, so I'm certain it only started doing after he installed the new battery.

The issue was that he was getting the bike to crank, but it wouldn't fire and often it resulted in a backfire without a successful start.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hopefully I can help him fix the fuse problem so we can continue troubleshooting the starting issue.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Reconnected the battery to take a look after inspecting some lines. Fuse blew again, and I noticed some arcing behind the fuse box. Will take more time to do it tomorrow.

Anyone ever experience this?

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
it's happened to me with regular fuses. all i had to do was separate the wires and tape them up.

i once blew the main fuse when i tried jumping the bike and accidentally put the wrong cable on the wrong post. total bonehead move.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
it's happened to me with regular fuses. all i had to do was separate the wires and tape them up.

i once blew the main fuse when i tried jumping the bike and accidentally put the wrong cable on the wrong post. total bonehead move.

Awesome man sounds easy enough. Just want to get it fixed to get my buddy back on the road. Guess I'm picking up some electrical tape tomorrow.

Thanks again for the replies!

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
If you can, use some shrink wrap when possible, and just use a lighter to shrink it. it's thicker and better quality.

good luck.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts