Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, My Foggy keeps blowing the fuse to the tail light ,nvs( i think its the instrument cluster) and pilot light (headlight). Its a 15 amp fuse. I replaced it twice with a 15 amper , it kept blowing so I popped a 25 in there, and it held after I turned the lights on and off. I felt good so I put the bike together again (third time) and started her up. Alls good till i turn the head light on again, than the bike quits. Took it apart again, and found I blew the "master" fuse this time. Its a 30 amp fuse. Any thoughts?? Ever happen to any one else? I can only think something is shorting out/ grounding. or i'm getting to much voltage. A brainiac I'm not. I'll take all the help I can get ;D

G

·
you've got a hot wire grounded on the circuit that the fuse is blowing,do not put a higher rate fuse or you may burn the wire itself or the harness,try to pin-point the area by removing what you did and look for open wire touching the frame or that's grounded.

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
you've got a hot wire grounded on the circuit that the fuse is blowing,do not put a higher rate fuse or you may burn the wire itself or the harness,try to pin-point the area by removing what you did and look for open wire touching the frame or that's grounded.
Agreed! Do not do the 25A fuse again, it could damage wiring. I imagine most of the lighting wire is rated for 15 amps or less, thus the 15A fuse. To draw 30A of current, you have probably got a dead short somewhere i.e. something live bolted or really touching well a negitive wire or ground. It is not a voltage issue.

mitt

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess I'll have to do some snooping. I just hope the wire thats grounding is not hidden to well. I'm thinking, if I put the bike in a totally dark room and attemp to turn on the head lights again... while taping it... in really slow motion I'll get the spark caught on tape and will be able to trace it that way ;D I'm thinking of taking it to the dealer. 'Cept I don't have a truck and would be forced to ride the bike an hour to the dealership without my head light on. I'ts legal here in Germany, but I LIKE being seen. I'm wondering if its in the switch itself? Thanks guys :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts