Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
NOTE: The black bike is for sale. Ebay auction ends Sat afternoon Nov 25, but I will sell the bike for the prices listed below and cancel the auction if someone from the Monster list buys the bike before the auction reaches that level. Am going to have the casting welded on the wrecked red bike's motor and use it for a winter project, so the black beauty is back on the block. Thanks -

Dave

Details of Ebay auction:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2007...ryZ49988QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Black w/ white stripe '07 S4RS Monster, 2536 miles, 600 mile service done. Termi pipes and Termi airbox. Also includes Termi Performance ECU set up by dealer. Bike is stock otherwise, except for dealer removal of charcoal cannister. $11,900. Bought new mid August, so unlimited mileage warranty good until mid Aug 2008. Sell for $10,900 with stock pipes, ECU and airbox. Purchased to finish the season while I worked on my wrecked red one.

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: Black S4RS for sale in Cleveland, Ohio

Trying to post more photos

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Black S4RS or Red S4RS project for sale in Cleveland, Ohio

Randall said:
hows about some pics of the red bike??
[/quoteI'm on the road in my motorhome, but I have a few I can submit from here. I can take more later this weekend when I get home. This shows the problems. Right fork is dimpled, but only on the shell. Frame may or may not need to be straightened. The dimple in the photo is the only thing that has been noticed. One frame guy said it would be fine and another said it ought to be straightened. Fork works fine. Clutch cover dented but didn't touch clutch inside. Engine was dead before impact (locked brakes when I laid it down). Dealer says engine is fine, and under warranty. Engine was broken in right. I've built many Porsche race motors and I'm particular about neither babying nor heat stressing parts until they are seated.

Thanks for your interest.

Dave

·
Premium Member
50 Posts

is the red an 07 or an 06? Is the dealer willing to put in writing that the motor is okay & under warranty?
thanks,
e

·
Premium Member
9,761 Posts

edpop said:
is the red an 07 or an 06? Is the dealer willing to put in writing that the motor is okay & under warranty?
thanks,
e
there are no '06 s4rs... they are all "early release" '07s.

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

edpop said:
how about the second half of my question?
e
My last conversation about this with the dealer was this afternoon (Fri) by cell phone. I talked with the service manager, actually, who had looked at the bike when I dropped it there after the accident so the Allstate adjuster could see it. His main concern at the time was whether or not the clutch could have hit the dented cover, but after removing the cover he said it had not touched. He said that he knows of no other damage that would have been possible, beyond the obvious external to the radiator, etc. At that time he was checking it for me so I could make a call about buying the salvage, knowing that if the engine was a risk I didn't want to get the bike. Turned out that he also was looking at the bike to see if they wanted it for a spare motor for their shop race bike. I wanted to keep the bike together, but he told me that the motor was fine, and that the warranty would cover it if something broke on the inside, but he ccould't figure what it could possibly be. I pushed him about guaranteeing that it would be guaranteed, and he said that he cannot guarantee a hypothetical case, but that Ducati is very good with their warranty service, and as long as the engine is in a complete bike with matching numbers, he can turn in a claim and it will be accepted. I think he is covering himself in case of mischief like putting something in a spark plug hole. He told me in another conversation about Ducati warranties in general that he could get just about anything fixed if it broke, even from blantantly abusive "normal" use.

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Here are some more details about the accident.There was no frontal collision. The bike stuffed under a guard rail between the posts. The bars connected, but I had installed risers and had had difficulty getting screws that were long enough to use permanently. They only threaded in a couple turns, and pulled the threads before the bars bent. Original bolts thread in fine without the risers. It broke the hydraulic lines though, so clutch and front brake lines need to be replaced. Headlamp, including brackets needs replacing. I have a new instrument cluster and have ordered new rubber mounts. The bike had Cycle Cat crash guards. The left one was ground a bit so I removed it, and the right one broke off as the bike went beneath the rail into soft dirt under grass. No damage to wheels or brakes, except for the hydraulic lines and some cosmetic damage to the levers. Both mirrors need to be replaced. I think if someone sees the bike physically they will be comfortable with the project, but I am uncomfortable selling it sight unseen. Title is clear but salvage. Insurance company wouldn't give me my money until I faxed tham a salvage title.

I'm back in town but sick, so I prefer not to go out until tomorrow (Monday) to take more photos. If you have sent me a PM and this doesn't respond completely, please drop me another line and I'll do my best to respond promplty.

Apologies to anyone who has contacted me in the last few months about one or the other of these bikes. :-\ After going back and forth about which one to keep I don't guess I'm ever going to be able to make up my mind which way I'd prefer to go, so I'm just going to let one go to the first person who walks in with money, then keep the other for myself.

Thanks to all who have PM'd with interest.

Dave

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Here's another option, if anyone is interested. Anyone want the motor out of the black bike? I can't guarantee the red bike motor, even though I'm sure that it is fine. But I can swap motors, and keep the black bike for myself with the motor from the red bike. I could sell the motor alone from the black bike then as a known runner. The service manager at Crooked River Ducati talked with me a week or 2 ago and looked at the black bike while I was there. He can verify that the motor is fine. I asked him about clutch noise and he said that it was not a problem.

If I did this I'd part out the red bike. Wheels, tires, and brakes are perfect. Handlebar controls have road rash and hydraulic lines up front need replacing. I could sell the motor with the new instrument cluster, and the matching ECU and ignition module, along with all keys (including red). Would need new radiator and clutch cover. Clutch slave cyl would be on it. Stock exhaust. Anybody want to hop up their monster? I also have a new S4RS factory loom complete, and would sell the rest of the pieces too. Anybody want the carbon fiber pieces? If there is interest I'll work up prices. Thinking of 60% off retail if pieces are perfect, less if they are not. PM high resolution px possible before closing on anything. Shipping would be at my cost, dropping at UPS store.

Dave

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Have taken orders for some of the parts, so the red bike definitely will be parted out and the black bike is not for sale. The motor from the black bike will be available as soon as it is out of the frame. Known good motor, new August 07, 2536 miles. The motor may have a few more miles on it if I take another ride before removing it. Hope to feel well enough to do that later this week.

Thanks to all who have sent PM requests. Lots still available. I'll get prices from the dealer as requests come in, but you can chaeck with your local dealer on prices new, and multiply by 40 percent. Don't forget that shipping will be my cost from UPS store. I'll drop and they will box and ship.

Dave

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Bike will include original pipes, airbox and ECU if buyer wants them. All orig tools and documentation too, along with all three keys.

Thanks -

Dave

1 - 14 of 14 Posts