Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does any one have experience with black helmets? Do they heat up in the sun more than light colors, making them more uncomfortable?

·
Registered
339 Posts
yes and yes. they also seem to show scuffs and scratches more, especially flat black.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I had a black helmet and now I have a gray one, I can't really tell the difference. If you're stuck in traffic you're going to be hot no matter what gear you have on (unless you're on a rocket wearing shorts, sandals ,and a wife beater).

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
In my experience, people that wear black helmets are more cool. :D
I dont really think it makes that much of a difference. Your head is in a mini toaster oven in the middle of summer either way regardless of color.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Maybe the engineers could answer...there's a reason the tiles on the bottom of the space shuttle are black, I just can't remember why...

·
Premium Member
862 Posts
I have a black helmet.

no problems.. I'm sure the foam liner is a damn good insulator against heat transfer.. so while the shell may get a bit hotter, the inside temp is more dictated by the ability of the helmet to move air through.. and the amount of heat released by your head...

I guess a way to test would be to get two identical helmets, one black, one white and enclose them in a wind-free environment under the sun (UV rays...) then monitor the temperature at different points outside and inside the helmets..

As for the tiles on the bottom the shuttle.. I'm not an engineer, but found this on the web:

http://www.mse.berkeley.edu/classes/matsci102/F01reports/tiles.pdf

Turns out the black color is from a compound they spray the tiles with, called Tetrasilicide, which waterproofs the tiles and is black in color...

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I found it! My roommate in college worked for NASA briefly and brought back a tile...heated it red-hot with a torch and then held it with her bare hand immediately after. Pretty remarkable stuff..

The below link basically says the tiles are black because they dissipate heat faster than white tiles...the same would be true of a black helmet. Someone need to do a thesis?

http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives/feb2001/983996247.Eg.r.html

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
If your brain generates more heat than the solar load, you'll be cooler in a black helmet than in a white one.

If the sun is hotter than your brain, you want the white one ;D

Another note, the emissivity of red is damned near as high as black so red's not much better. White is clearly best. Yellow's not bad. Matte black? Ha, Ha, Ha!

Mine's anthracite. May as well be black.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
If your brain generates more heat than the solar load, you'll be cooler in a black helmet than in a white one.
If the sun is hotter than your

·
Registered
248 Posts
Does any one have experience with black helmets? Do they heat up in the sun more than light colors, making them more uncomfortable?
Yes the black helmet is really really cool and all.. but do remember about the visibility of urself in a dark night... Helmet is something which not only protects ur head not only in traditional sense but also helps in visibility.. if ur leather jacket is black.. and u have a dark monster... black helmet is definitely not suggested. Dont know if this was covered in ur MSF course but it was in mine. So make a wise decision. Or you can always stick up some reflective stickers on that thing ;).

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Yes the black helmet is really really cool and all.. but do remember about the visibility of urself in a dark night... Helmet is something which not only protects ur head not only in traditional sense but also helps in visibility.. if ur leather jacket is black.. and u have a dark monster... black helmet is definitely not suggested. Dont know if this was covered in ur MSF course but it was in mine. So make a wise decision. Or you can always stick up some reflective stickers on that thing ;).
I lite sparklers and stuff them in the bar ends. People always notice me.

·
Registered
223 Posts
....Helmet is something which not only protects ur head not only in traditional sense but also helps in visibility.. if ur leather jacket is black.. and u have a dark monster... black helmet is definitely not suggested......
come on! do you really believe that people don't see you because you're wearing black?! they don't see you because they're not even looking!!!!

....and yes, black helmets are a lot cooler than lighter colors.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
I know it's not exactly the same, but your conclusion would reflect the interior of the space shuttle being hotter than the sun/atmospheric friction?
It's not an inside/outside thing, it's energy flow. In the space shuttle case, the heat is generated at the tiles by friction and the tile's emissivity needs to be high because radiation is the only effective way to get rid of the heat. High emissivity means high absorption, but the tiles are exposed to relatively little solar energy.

In the helmet, friction is negligible so I was (jokingly) suggesting that the brain is the primary source of heat. Of course that is also negligible. In fact the main source of heat is solar load. Now high emissivity is bad because it absorbs the sun's heat and conduction (to your head) is the primary heat flow path (though the helmet does re-radiate as well).

In a case in which no heat was being generated, then heat flow direction would be from higher temperature to lower and the flow rate (for radiation) would be a function of the emissivity.

Geeks . What would you do without us?:p

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
Bright helmets, like my yellow RF-1000 are safer because other drivers are more likely to see you.

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
I think I'll rely on the fact that my both my headlight and taillight are far brighter than any helmet color (not including reflectors), so I'll keep riding with my black helmet, jacket, and bike, and not worry about it.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Bright helmets, like my yellow RF-1000 are safer because other drivers are more likely to see you.
i don't see the logic of brighter colors generally being "safer" and i question the validity of statements like that. here's some food for thought:

1. as stated before, i do believe that most drivers don't see us because they are simply not looking or their view is limited/restricted

2. also, as we all know, in split-second decisions the human mind "locks on" to the most noticable object in view (target fixation) and drivers are more likely to be drawn to it. are you making yourself a target?

3. i'm suspicious of any scientific study, but recent "findings" suggest that silver is the "safest" color for cars. wouldn't that also apply to motorcycles/helmets?

4. just because many fire departments are changing the color of their vehicles from red (is that a red helmet in your picture?) to yellow doesn't mean that it is a safer color.

don't get me wrong, i'm not questioning the fact that lighter/brighter colors are more visible (especially at night time), but i question that "brighter" automatically translates into "safer."

·
Premium Member
1,966 Posts
but i question that "brighter" automatically translates into "safer."

You have to take every precaution possible, most auto/cycle accidents are the result of "I didnt see him".

Light colors are visable at greater distances than darker ones.
Dark and especialy black blend in with the background.

I wear a high visable yellow jacket and white helmet both of which also incorporate reflective stripes.

Next time your out in your car, try to observe the effect on your ability to see a motorcycle based on the color.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Never had a heat problem with my black helmet. I wear all black when I ride on my Dark bike. Yes it's for looks. I have been cut off at intersections but I think that the people just aren't paying attention. I'd rather ride defensively and look cool than look like a squid wearing a christmas tree that's on fire.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts