Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Generally in the winter when I cant ride, I just start my bike once a month and let it heat up in the garage. This month however, it wont start. When I try, it just clicks and makes a noise like it did when I turned the key. I dont think the batterys the problem since all the lights and everything work. THe garage is heated, so its not just frozen up. THeres about 6 inches of snow on the ground so its not an emergency, just tryin to get it to work. I have an 07 695, thanks

·
Registered
67 Posts
Do you have a battery tender connected? If not your battery does not have enough power to turn it over. All batteries lose power over time and starting it every month does not charge the battery.

·
Premium Member
301 Posts
I'm not sure about the 695 battery location, but if it's anything like the 696 I would do a search on here on how to get to it before you go looking to tender it. I added a pig tail to my 696 to tender it for the winter, and thought the battery would be easy to get too...wrongggg I had to come inside and look it up to find out how to get the tank off.

I put a tender and pig tails on all my bikes. Makes for quick easy setup when winter comes around.

·
Registered
67 Posts
695 are the easy one to change batteries compared to a 696 and 1100's. On the 695 you just unclip the tank and tip it up and there you are.

Takes about 10 minutes to remove the battery (on a 695) on a 696 & 1100 you need a engineering degree lol.

·
Registered
72 Posts
One of my housemates has a duc that she doesn't ride very often. When it sits for a long period it's pretty tough to start. Rolling it down a nearby hill in 2nd gear while starting the engine does the trick after that we ride it for awhile to charge it up and it's starts right up until the next long period of non-use.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok i got a battery charger, do i need to remove the battery to charge it or can I just clamp onto the copper parts coming out of the battery? If i do need to remove the battery, how do I do that?

·
Registered
67 Posts
To tell you the truth I have yet to access my battery on my 1100s. I attempted it once and quit half way through. Reason was I had to be somewhere in an hour and I already had 40 minutes into it and the tank was still on the bike. So I put it back together.

If you can distinguish which one is positive and negative then have at it. If not then remove the battery. Make sure your charger can be set for 2 amp's no more than that or you'll fry your battery....

here's a place to read about maintaining your batt. http://www.yuasabatteries.com/faqs.php

·
Registered
7 Posts
On the 1100, you have to remove the seat and all the bolts on the "tank cover".
There are two bolts that hold the tank down. Once removed, you have to push the tank towards the front on the bike. It's nice if you have a second set of hands to hold the tank up while you work on the battery. I had very little gas which made the tank lighter.
It was definitely a pain getting to it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts