Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dealer says it's the battery, I don't think so ::). When you hit the ignition button it just clicks and then the engine light comes on. They sold me a trickle charger to bring the battery back up to charge. The bike is burning or leaking oil somewhere as I just had the oil changed 800 miles ago and I looked today and it was almost bone dry. When I hit the ignition it sounds like the engine has seized ::).

For a 2006 model it sure has given me a lot of problems. If it has to go back to the dealer again, this will be it's 3rd trip in 6 months. I love the bike, it just doesn't have the reliability of my R1.

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
you could always place some leads from your car battery to your bikes... should give you more amperage for starting.... if it starts, it's definitely your battery. I wouldn't use the trickle charger to diagnose this problem though, id the battery is damaged it might never hold enough amps to crank the bike over

·
Registered
98 Posts
IF the oil is as low as you say, it could have possibly seized the engine. Was it running fine and then just wouldn't start?

These bikes seem to be notorious for bad starter relays, check that too.

If you get the bike rolling, and pop it in gear will the motor turn over?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hollowellreid said:
IF the oil is as low as you say, it could have possibly seized the engine. Was it running fine and then just wouldn't start?

These bikes seem to be notorious for bad starter relays, check that too.

If you get the bike rolling, and pop it in gear will the motor turn over?
The bike was running fine yesterday, and I hooked up the trickle charger and it started flashing green (charged after a couple of hours). The bike started, but it sounds anything but smooth. I think the battery is dying (Wow the dealer might be right. . . .for once) There is a lot of corrosion on the negative terminal and what looks like battery acid stains on top of the engine.

Still can't figure out the mysterious vanishing oil. There has got to be a leak somewhere, but I sure can't find it.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hiero said:
what process are you using to check the oil level?
I turn the bike on and let it warm up, stand it up straight and check the window. My oil cap doesn't have a stick or anything.

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
surfs1st said:
I turn the bike on and let it warm up, stand it up straight and check the window. My oil cap doesn't have a stick or anything.
I'm assuming you turn the bike off after you warm it up? and you're waiting 3-5 minutes before you check the window (on the right side)?

Sorry for the basic questions, I don't think you're stupid, but if you don't see any evidence of an oil leak anywhere, I would be hesitant to say you have one

·
Premium Member
2,248 Posts
hiero said:
I'm assuming you turn the bike off after you warm it up? and you're waiting 3-5 minutes before you check the window (on the right side)?

Sorry for the basic questions, I don't think you're stupid, but if you don't see any evidence of an oil leak anywhere, I would be hesitant to say you have one
+1

Not that we think your stupid but from your response it sounds like your checking the oil with the bike running.

I had the same problem late last year and it was the battery. I got the same click when I thumbed the starter button. I would start by replacing the battery. While your at it make sure you clean the ends of the cables and treat it with an anti corrosion product. They can be found at most auto parts stores.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts