Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 monster 750 , I have the bike in my heated garage for the winter on a trickle charge. I tried to start the bike today and the bike didn't make a sound , no clicking no cranking . I have lights horn ,the battery was a little low on fluid so I added water , but still nothing , could it be a dead battery even on the trickle . The bat is about 3 yrs old .the battery cables are tight with no corrsion . What do u guys think

Rob ny

·
Registered
203 Posts
Sometimes batteries dont have enough juice to start but do give you enough juice for lights. But, I would assume you would at least get a couple clicks off the starter.

Check the fuses, could be something that simple.

I had this happen once, but make sure the switch is on!

What kind of trickle charger do you use? The ctek has a setting that can bring a battery back from the dead. Otherwise you can try getting a new battery. Try this after checking the fuses ect.

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
fuses

I checked the igintion fuse under the seat (30) amp it was good . I use the battery tender tricle charge . Tommorrow I'm going to put it on a regular 2amp charger for a few hrs ,hopefully I get a few clicks and I will know its the battery. Also the switch is on and the kickstand is up . I was wondering if it could be a relay switch or the kickstand kill switch

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
update still wont start

The battery is fully charged ,it doesn't dim or the horn dosnt sound weak. I check the bat cables tight and clean I checked under the starter the wire there is tight and clean , I tapped the relay switch with my hand @ the same time tring to start nothing . Is the relay switch the yellow box under the seat ?

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
switch

Yes its in the on position , I'm going to check it with a volt meter I think that switch might be the prob or the kickstand kill switch . Thanks any other suggestions let me no

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
bike wont start

its a poor practice to charge a battery while connected to the bike. With todays expensive electronic components, its a recipe for disaster as well as a challenge to one's trouble shooting abilities.

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
It happened to me a few time when I forgot to put it in neutral or the neutral sensor is not working properly. Try put it in 1st and then back to neutral, and try mot the side-stand a few times, or try pulling the clutch while starting.

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
wont start update , still nothing

I put the bike in gear and back into neutral , I also tried my buddys ignition relay switch , still nothing , I'm going to put the volt meter on the starter relay sel . One wire runs from the battery to starter relay and the othr runs from the starter relay to the starter . So how should I test it with the volt meter . On both ends ?

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
solenoid !!!

I reached in with my hand from the right side of the bike to feel the solenoid to see is the wires were intact , I shook the solenoid ,and then tried to start the bike and bingo , she cranked . Tommorrow I'm going to remove the battery and clean the wire attached to the solenoid . What do u guys think? Should I buy a new solenoid or just clean the wire connections and see what happpens in the future .
Thanks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts