Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
fellas i need help!
about a month ago my fuel light started flickering. usually while accelerating. (yes i had gas everytime).
couple of weeks ago the bike had trouble starting. ( battery had full charge)
today while riding the bike just cut out.
had to pull over, it started up, rode, it cut out again. It did it 2 more times. finally got home, checked the battery. It has a full charge.
put the battery back in, it starts up and dies. if i gas it, it :'( runs until i stop feeding gas.
anybody, somebody please help
oh yeah ive got a monster 750 '02

·
Registered
98 Posts
The fuel light is a simple float/anode device. They are known for failing, and usually fail in the "on" position. Don't trust it. make SURE that you have a decent amount of fuel.

Start with the basics first. What condition are the plugs in, how long since you've changed them? Might be worth doing, they are cheap. Are the plug boots screwed on to the wires and dry?

If you can keep it running, how does it run? Does it have full power? Or no?

Give us some more details and we'll take it from there. it sounds to me like there is a fuel problem.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
If it runs fine otherwise but won't idle, your idle jets could be to blame. I had a problem with my battery cables being loose on various places when mine would cut out randomly. Check your main battery cables, try the easy solutions BEFORE you tear into the carbs ~

JM

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
the_journeyman said:
If it runs fine otherwise but won't idle, your idle jets could be to blame. I had a problem with my battery cables being loose on various places when mine would cut out randomly. Check your main battery cables, try the easy solutions BEFORE you tear into the carbs ~

JM
02 750 is Fuel Injected.

Take a look in the tank for a split fuel line. ;)

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
No offense to those guessing battery, but if the bike starts and idles. Most likely the battery is not the cause. The application of throttle with a lack of fuel is the likely culprit.

Open the gas cap and turn on the key, see if you can see a errant stream of fuel while the pump is cycling.

·
Registered
98 Posts
agreed, check for loose connections, kinked lines, and split lines. If nothing is visible, I'd then check the fuel pressure. I've heard the fuel pumps are pretty stout, but I had one fail. I was only seeing about 20-30 PSI of pressure and the bike ran much like yours: Poor.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hey
after the last time I started it up, rev and cut out , it hasn't done it again.
the bike starts up immediately and there is no fuel light flickering.
strange!
but i'll take a look at all the suggestions and I'll keep you guys posted.
I thank you all. [thumbsup]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts