Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few days ago I got a new camera, and Gus (shadowcougar1) asked me to take a picture of his Monster... So I've been bouncing some ideas around in my head, and today I thought that I'd try a new technique out called "painting with light". I tried it out on my SV, and I think that it worked well (see the pic bellow).

you might have to open the picture in a new window to see it full-resolution (http://mysite.verizon.net/avillez/painted_SV_Small.jpg)

Why am I posting this, you ask? Simple! In a couple of weeks I'll be on a month-long break, so I thought I'd offer my photography services to you folks. I figure that if it gets too cold to ride our bikes, we can take photos of them and stare at them endlessly like the nerds we know we are...

If anyone is interested, let me know and we'll work something out. I'm not going to charge any outrageous fees ($80 just for showing up!!! ::) ), just enough to cover my costs (for prints, time, etc...). Hell, I might be willing to work for beer. Really, I'll probably just be happy to take the shots.

And since we're all here, looking at pretty pictures, here's the aftermath of my accident on June 2nd:

(http://mysite.verizon.net/avillez/painted_helmet-s.jpg)
The picture is not as good, as this was my first try with this new lighting technique (not too shabby, though). I should have cleaned the visor, though. Anyway, let this stand as a warning to all: wear your helmets!

If you're still wondering what the heck I'm doing posting this... well, I'm just a little kid with a new toy. Sorry ;D

André

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh yeah, I'm all healed up. I'll never buy a HJC again, though (suffered a nasty head injury). It already seems like a year has gone by since the accident (I've been riding again for a few months now), but I just got around to photographing the helmet. And yeah, I got a nice replacement (Shark RSI). Hmm, maybe I should photograph the new one too...

I'll post another picture as soon as I photograph Gus' M620. I think I should do a whole series on bikes...

André

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Great work Andre [thumbsup] I'm wondering if you can help my 620 look as awesome as your SV? :eek:

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
Ugh, helmet good, no helmet bad! Like the old Bell ads said "got a $5.00 head then buy a $5.00 helmet". What's left in my head might be malfunctioning but I still want to keep it in there.

ps cool pics!

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
bulb exposure and using a flashlight or directed flash?

that's fun stuff!

if you have a rock solid mount, try this technique:

calculate your optimal exposure for a normal pic, then set your camera for a 1/4 to 1/5th exposure. then do your painting with a slightly shorter bulb exposure.

the effect is more distinct outlines of the subject, but not as 'soft' grey gradiations.

just somethign fun to experiment with

what is your equipment?

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
Andre,
So totally cool!
I wish I could take a pic like that!! I'm jealous of your talent!
Good to know your head is still intact too... Almost any helmet is better than none!

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks, all!

And more specifically:

Lisa,

sure, we can work that out ;D . All that's needed is a light-tight garage (or in my case a bunch of towels to seal the door gaps) and time to spare...

Jack,

Yeah, Bulb and a flashlight. The shorter exposure you're talking about seems to be an under-exposure of a couple of stops, right? If so, it would indeed bump up contrast, but mostly by limiting the tonality of the negative and forcing a chopped tonality on a "corrected" print. It indeed works, but as I'm shooting digital now, I can "harden" the tonality during processing (which can also be done in B&W films and variable contrast papers, and to a limited extent in colour and different contrast papers as well). I must confess that I'm a fan of smooth tonality, though. If I missunderstood you, though, please let me know. I'm always interested in learning more...

As for my equipment, I'm shooting my newly acquired Olympus e-500 (for now with the "kit" lens). It replaced my Canon 35mm and Bronica 6x6 gear, simply because I don't have enough time to do my own developing and printing anymore. For the price of having a lab develop a couple of my shoots (I burn a lot of film) I could buy a digital SLR. So I did :) .

and Hiero,

Houston, huh? How about we meet half way? Let's see, I'm just north of Dallas, you're in Houston... How about Fort-Worth [cheeky] ?

Andre

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
Is it just me or did anyone else not know what the heck Andre was talking about?? I have trouble getting those throw away cameras out of the foil bags! But I can appreciate a good pic. Again, that's a nice one of the SV!

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
fastwin said:
Is it just me or did anyone else not know what the heck Andre was talking about?? I have trouble getting those throw away cameras out of the foil bags! But I can appreciate a good pic. Again, that's a nice one of the SV!
haha, it's mostly gibberish. I just want to appear important and all-knowing ;D

But anyway, thanks!

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
Drewcati 998 said:
Hey Andre,

It's Andrew from the trackday!

I'd be interested! Will pay you in beer AND some dough! hehe.

I'll have some free time not this weekend but the following. PM me and lemme know!

Drew
I could pay you in dough, literally, I make cookies ;D

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
hiero said:
I could pay you in dough, literally, I make cookies ;D
But do they have chocolate chips? THEY MUST HAVE CHOCOLATE CHIPS. If so, and you're willing to concede that Oklahoma is closer to you than Galveston, we can negotiate a cookie to picture ratio.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Keep in mind that the cookie-to-picture ratio is quite high, and taking into consideration an advanced technique such as "painting with light", It might be double or even triple chocolate chips.

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Of course, one must also keep in mind that there are consequences for having high cookie:picture ratios. Chocolate smudges on the lens, high cholesterol, and indigestion come to mind. On the bright side, if the bike's owner also shares in the cookie-madness, the chocolate and sugar high might induce him or her to believe that my pictures are better than they are. It's a risk I'm willing to take. ;D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts