Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering, how many of you keep your bikes outside year round? The winter seems less harsh than my mother New England and I assume there might be some folks who use their bikes almost all year. How does that work for you? I'm just asking because I jsut purchased a cover and appropriate locks/cables, etc for when the bike is outside. It will probably be going to a friend's garage for the winter, but with the weather being so warm as of late, I'm thinking I may just keep it outside at my place for a bit.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I always keep my bikes outside...don't get me wrong, I would not turn down a garage!. I store the monster at a friends warehouse in case of extreme weather

·
Registered
386 Posts
I've been wondering the same thing. I lost my winter storage and am planning on keeping it outside - under a cover and under a roof (no snow, no rain). Anyone have any prep suggestions?

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
Greetings,
Guys sound like the three of ya could split a storage unit. There has been plenty talk on it in the cam section. There is also some good info in the FAQ section regarding winterization. Keep that chain or cable off the ground. It helps against theft and the gas stablizer is your friend. Have a great holiday and lets enjoy this odd warm temps. dc

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
If you are planning on riding your bike whenever it gets warm, storing outside isn't all that bad. Your bike will suffer some, but it won't die. You'll want to do some extra cleaning come spring, especially if it gets exposed to salt and/or sand. If it snows around your bike, you might want to dig it out so the underneath doesn't get soaked in water so long.

If you go for more than two weeks without riding, definitely take your battery out of the bike and put it on a tender inside. It will help your battery last longer. If a battery sits discharged for more than a couple of weeks, you run the risk that it will never take a decent charge again (personal experience). Fuel stabilizer is your friend. It is so cheap and easy to do.

My bike stayed outside for two winters and fared decently. Your biggest risk is theft. Bikes get lifted all the time, so the closer you park your bike to your building, the better off it will be. I used to bump my bike up on the curb and parked her in the walkway leading to the front door of my townhouse. You can also make it more difficult for a thief to get to by have the bike share a space with your cage.

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good advice, Emily. I snagged a top floor apartment but was thinking if I got the first floor I'd be able to roll the bike through the patio doors into the living room....I doubt the management would like that though :)

I will also probably be looking into possible storage places when I get settled. If someone wants to go in on or knows of something relatively cheap in the Reston area, we might be able to arrange something this winter.

·
Registered
386 Posts
My back patio is covered so I have my bike stored a foot from my house and chained to one of those Kryptonite eye hooks that you bolt into the ground. I've relubed the chaain, changed the oil, and put in some fuel stabilizer. I've heard people say not to keep it under a cover the entire time and I've heard others say that as long as the cover is vented it shouldn't be a problem. Any thoughts on this and is there anything else I should do?

·
Registered
928 Posts
rrover454 said:
I will also probably be looking into possible storage places when I get settled. If someone wants to go in on or knows of something relatively cheap in the Reston area, we might be able to arrange something this winter.
Contact Mclearen self storage, ask for Nate, it is a motorcycle friendly place and they will cut you a deal. Several others have expressed interest and I would recommend you get together and rent a large unit a 10x15 will hold about 5 monsters. If you ask Nate will also drop a cord off the light for a battery tender. Units are heated and air conditioned. Here is the url http://www.mclearenselfstorage.com/ - Gene

·
Premium Member
341 Posts
I stored my bike outside for the first two years, fuel stabalizer in the tank and battery on charger. It started up liile a charm. Now I rely on the kindness of my friends :) (er those with garages

1 - 11 of 11 Posts