Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening guys, I have just acquired an s4 foggy with 5000 miles the previous owner sold after putting in a new battery and spark plugs. We rode together and eventually after 50 miles started stalling, sputtering and eventually not starting anymore.
I knew what I was getting into but I love this bike. The bike cranks but does not start. I pulled the horizontal plug and it was dry so I tried to open tank and pull flange to check filter and pump but after removing all bolts and little side screws it won’t budge. Any suggestions on How do I get it out? What else should I look into? Fuses on right side of tank all tested ok with ohm meter.

Thank you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Heat it up with a torch. I bet it comes off with no problem.😉
( just kidding)

·
Registered
309 Posts
First time I did it was a pain, just make sure you have ALL the side allen screws all the way out.
The large 'o' ring seal can get gummed up and stuck. Here's how I did it.
Use a Hammer with rubber grip handle, put handle end in and tap and lever the thing out, working around in a circle.
Gently does it, you don't want to dent the tank, especially if it's a plastic one.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok so I was able to get the fuel cap out. Unplugged the outlet of the tank filter and I see flow during initial priming. I have checked the resistance values on both coils and everything checks. I have also checked spark on horizontal cylinder, Bike still not running. What should I look at next

Thank you.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Assuming you have spark to both cylinders, what I would do next is;
Here in Australia we have a spray product called, believe it or not, 'start ya bastard'. A spray can for intake.
you mentioned plugs were dry, remove air filter top, use a similar engine start and spray into inlet while cranking.
At least it will tell you if it's a fuel related problem. It will fire up for a few seconds.
If so, then could be water or rust or sediment in fuel tank or filter or lines. How long was the bike sitting before you got it?
Unplug again outlet of fuel filter, put clear hose on outlet and crank to get some fuel out into container, then add some fresh fuel to container, any water would be obvious.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Here isa video of the bike not starting

There is gasoline mist coming from vertical stack but not the horizontal.
The tank is in great shape. No rust anywhere.
Second video is the priming on startup. I removed the tank filter outlet to see if it was clogged.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
309 Posts
Flat battery....unlikely it will start like that. If it's new, get it fully charged and tested.
Make sure all connections are clean and tight.
Next, assuming it starts,:unsure: ? check charging, After 50 mile ride and then it died, could be it was not charging and ran until battery got too low.
Fuel flow looks ok. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thank you Ronsky. I have even tried to jump start with a car battery lots of cranking but no start. I have pulled out fuel pump and filter. Maybe I can have it tested at the local shop I have also removed injectors, is it as easy as plug them up to 12 v and spray carb cleaner to clean them up?The bike has 5k miles.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts